Rumor: Maelstrom closing - CONFIRMED

Okay so I have to jump in.  What do you think about this?  Most of you know I am pretty much obsessed with the World Showcase.  I'm just not sure what I think.  I love how it just all seems "real" and "historical" - of course it is neither of those, but in my mind it is.  I just love it.  This just seems to change everything.  I'm 100% fine with the girls being in Norway.  But the ride, I just don't get.  Plus, I thought the new "thing" was all princess have their own area in Fantasyland.  So will they have 2 areas.  Just sort of seems like they are clamoring to please the hoards of Frozen fans (I am one!) and not thinking this through.  But whatever, who am I.   ::)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HERE's A SCOOP!  The first picture from the new Frozen ride at Norway:  

I really don't care much either way about this one. Can we fix the one side of "Future" World that completely sucks though? And put in Star Wars Land already? And add to Pixar Place? And redo the fina

Hay now it's a classic and a must do. It's the best ride in World Showcase. It's Atleast in the top 2.

I didn't either. The Hub has a little bit more info.

I just looked at the blog page again.  There are now 46 comments, almost every one of them asking for the closing date and reopen date.  Tom must be too busy counting the stacks of money collected from the premium package sales to respond.

Guests on the blog are answering the questions now.

Way to go, Tom!

TCD

Okay so I have to jump in.  What do you think about this?  Most of you know I am pretty much obsessed with the World Showcase.  I'm just not sure what I think.  I love how it just all seems "real" and "historical" - of course it is neither of those, but in my mind it is.  I just love it.  This just seems to change everything.  I'm 100% fine with the girls being in Norway.  But the ride, I just don't get.  Plus, I thought the new "thing" was all princess have their own area in Fantasyland.  So will they have 2 areas.  Just sort of seems like they are clamoring to please the hoards of Frozen fans (I am one!) and not thinking this through.  But whatever, who am I.   ::)

I agree with you.  I'm not against Frozen.  But, I am against taking away one of the only two rides in the World Showcase, and making it a tribute to a cartoon. 

There's no net gain for the guests here.  There are two rides in World Showcase now, and there will still only be two when they're done with all of this.

Why not build a new ride in the huge space occupied by the old Odyssey restaurant? 

But, the Norway ride is kind of run down.  So, they save money on having to refurbish it.  And adding a bunch of props to an existing ride is a lot cheaper than building a new one. 

TCD

I just looked at the blog page again.  There are now 46 comments, almost every one of them asking for the closing date and reopen date.  Tom must be too busy counting the stacks of money collected from the premium package sales to respond.

Guests on the blog are answering the questions now.

Way to go, Tom!

TCD

The Maelstrom page on the WDW website has been updated to show the closing date.

The Maelstrom page on the WDW website has been updated to show the closing date.

So Disney has a closing date.  Tom knows people aren't going to like it.  So, he ignores all the requests for information.  Nice going.

My TA email came through too with October 5th closing and early 2016 for completion.

Wow.  Early 2016.  Early is the first six months, right?

I think the Mine Train was supposed to open in Early 2014.  It opened May 28th.

They're going to have the ride closed for 18 months.

That's pretty bad.

Why can't they leave the ride open, get everything prefabricated, and get it done in 3 or 4 months?

TCD

I agree with you.  I'm not against Frozen.  But, I am against taking away one of the only two rides in the World Showcase, and making it a tribute to a cartoon. 

There's no net gain for the guests here.  There are two rides in World Showcase now, and there will still only be two when they're done with all of this.

Why not build a new ride in the huge space occupied by the old Odyssey restaurant? 

But, the Norway ride is kind of run down.  So, they save money on having to refurbish it.  And adding a bunch of props to an existing ride is a lot cheaper than building a new one. 

TCD

Norway is making the decisions. Ive said form the beginning of all of this, its a contact between Norway and Disney. The meet and greet will be back, like I said back in May, and the ride will be re-themed, like I said back in May. It wont be moved to another location because Norway makes money off the pavilion and they own the rights.

Ive been saying this since May. No one ever listens to the CMs........

Wow, that announcement came from Tom Staggs himself.

The bit about Elsa lighting the MK castle is new too.

TCD

Ive known for a bit this was changing. They are also going to take over the Christmas parade. Its going to be an interesting year.

Speaking of which, the Christmas parade WILL NOT run as part of regular operations like in the past. It will ONLY be available during party nights. FOF will be the normal operation everyday.

I didn't see that in the announcement.

I need to get there for a last ride.

I guess I may be the last to pass that way.

TCD

Went on it today and as I heard that saying and you won't be the last, I thought soon you will be!

I wasn't impressed by Frozen - not even the music. I don't go to EPCOT to deal with children rioting because they can't get to a meet and greet. While it's not totally an adult park, in general EPCOT is mainly for adults. Frozen is NOT Norwegian ... and should have gone to Fantasyland of the Studios.

My $0.03

I wasn't impressed by Frozen - not even the music

I knew it, I knew it, Ed is the one person that wasn't impressed.

I don't go to EPCOT to deal with children rioting because they can't get to a meet and greet.

I don't know about that, but at the "Frozen Summer Fun" events I've worked, that was not the case.

Yesterday morning I did the first half and tonight I did the second half of the event and no rioting kids.

I really don't care much either way about this one.

Can we fix the one side of "Future" World that completely sucks though?

And put in Star Wars Land already?

And add to Pixar Place?

And redo the final scene of COP?

And demo the Stitch ride to add extra bathrooms?

And bring back the real MSB?

And bring back paper FPs?

And learn how to repair canvas?

And fix the Yeti?

And fix the falling rocks?

And bring back a self-serve dole whip stand?

And give-away a river country panther hunt?

I mean, IMHO, the. Maelstrom going away is the least of our concerns.

And add to Pixar Place?

And fix the Yeti?

All that and a bag of chips!

And add to Pixar Place?

And fix the Yeti?

Truer words have never been spoken.  

Or typed.  

And add to Pixar Place?

And fix the Yeti?

Amen, Aaron! I'm too lazy to switch to full view to up arrow you

And add to Pixar Place?

And fix the Yeti?

Amen