Dave Loves Beer (and his wife)....DIT and INC Celebrate 20 Years

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, no I didn't!  I forgot to go back to that.     I got her a new diamond ring....basically a solitaire engagement ring.  When we got engaged we didn't have two nickles to rub together, so I got her

Time to wrap up this short trip report that I never even intended on writing until Mo forced me to.   :D   We went to Primo for a sit down dinner.  Now, I mentioned earlier that INC and I prefer casua

Ok...I wasn't going to write a trip report for our 20th anniversary trip but Mo wanted to see my pictures of beer.  So blame her.   This will be a quick one....probably just a few updates.     So May

Alright....let's start some BEER pictures.  

After we left the lazy river in the late afternoon, we got cleaned up for an evening enjoying the resort.  

One thing that I didn't want to do was to rent a car.  I actually wanted to be "trapped" at the resort.  And there was so much to offer here that there was no reason to leave, but I know that sometimes having a car we will tend to go do something on a whim, and I really just wanted to relax.  And in reality, we had two hotels to enjoy, as the JW Marriott comprises, along with the adjacent Ritz Carlton, the "Grande Lakes" resort.  The two hotels are really one resort, each offering different amenities that all guests can enjoy.  They have the same ownership, so guests get room charging privileges at both hotels, can use both hotels' pools, etc.  And each hotel features several restaurants and lounges, so we had more places to eat and drink right on site than we had time for.  Not that that would stop us from trying to hit them all.  

Neither INC nor I are into eating big meals out....especially not big "fancy" meals.  We are much more comfortable sitting at a bar having drinks and appetizers.  So that's mainly what we did.  

We started the evening out at Whisper Creek Farms - The Kitchen.  The JW owns their own farm where all the vegetables used on site are grown, plus some of the meat products.  At The Kitchen, they feature farm to table comfort foods and craft beers brewed onsite.  

We got two spots at the bar and ordered drinks.  I opted for a beer sampler to begin.

20150513_171757.jpg

That is a Vanilla Porter, a Caraway Rye wheat beer, and an IPA.  

They were all very good, but the Caraway Rye was KILLER!  In fact, I dreamed about that beer that night.

You can see another glass behind this with a red liquid in it...that was their homemade lambic.  Also very good! 

INC had a standard wheat beer...something along the lines of Blue Moon.  It was good.  

We were pacing ourselves and only wanted something small to eat at this point, so we got their homemade pretzels with their own cheese to dip.  

20150513_172421.jpg

INC's beer is in the background of that last picture, so you can see the color of it.  

Selfie at The Kitchen's bar....

20150513_172430.jpg

First stop was a homerun!  We were very pleased with The Kitchen.  But being grazers, it was time to move on to another pasture.  

Over at the Ritz they have a restaurant that I'd been dying to try called Highball & Harvest.  They feature southern inspired cuisine and hand crafted cocktails, including a huge selection of bourbons and whiskeys.  

20150513_175810.jpg

H&H features a lot of local Florida beers, so I decided to try one of those.  IIRC, I opted for the Caramel Cream Ale from Due South Brewing.

20150513_180439.jpg

For noshing, we ordered their Fried Pickles and Onions....these were easily the best fried pickles I've ever had.  They weren't the standard ones....they were small slices with a really tasty but light coating, and a great dipping sauce.  I didn't get a pic....but found one online.  

HH1.jpg

Now, since I'd had drinks by the lazy river (along with some sort of snack that I can't recall), plus what I've shown here....we were both full, buzzed, and very tired from our travel by this point.  But that doesn't mean we called it a night quite yet.  

Outside the Ritz, along the lake, are some nice double hammocks.  It was a beautiful evening...not hot, not humid, nice breeze.  We laid down together in one of the hammocks....and fell asleep for an hour!

20150513_184805.jpg

20150513_184806.jpg

Still light out at this point.

20150513_184821.jpg

But when we woke up it was getting dark!  

We wandered a bit around the resort, and then called it an early night.  

After all, we had a big day planned for Thursday!  Drinking in a lazy river takes a lot of energy.   :D

Not to be nosey, well heck yes to be nosey, what did they hit you up for resort fees?  Are they daily?

What are the parking fees if you drive?

The resort fee is $30/day.  From their website, it includes:

JW Marriott amenities include: 
• Unlimited in-room Local and Domestic Long Distance Phone Calls, and Enhanced High Speed Internet
• Driving Range Privileges
• Daily Recreation Activities
• Shuttle Transportation to SeaWorld, Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando
• Two Pool Floats
• One Fitness Center Class

In reality, like most resorts they are soaking you and saying you are getting great amenities in return.  The floats for the river are nice, and internet is fine but should be a given in this day and age.  We didn't use the shuttle to any parks but saw some families that did.  And we didn't use the driving range or take any fitness classes.  If you take advantage of those things it's not a terrible deal, but my guess is that most do not.  And they know that.   

Parking is $20/day for self parking and $26 for valet.  Had we driven I'd have gotten that for free with my Marriott Rewards status...but for central FL that's pretty steep.  That's around what I pay in DC when I travel for work.  

There's no doubt, it's a very nice resort.  But they charge accordingly.   

OK now that I'm convinced this is a real TR and not one of Dave's fakes.   I'm in. and congratulations 20 years is a great start.  Looks like you picked a great place to relax.  

LOL!  I can see why there would be confusion.

What, not one picture of wine?  And no picture of the fried pickles and onions?  

Blech!  I'll drink a glass of cabernet now and then, but wine isn't my thing.  Nor is it INC's.  

I did go back and add a pic of the pickles.  

What a great place- it has all of my favorite things- a lazy river, craft beer, soft pretzels, fried pickles and hammocks.  Sounds like an awesome time!

TCD

It was a great stay!  I want to do it again....and may in a couple of months (but with the kids).  

That Caramel Cream Ale sounds goods. I needs to get me some of that.

Best Regards,

Norm

You need to try some!  It was really good.  

Beer & pretzels with cheese dip looked good!!!!!!!!

How can you go wrong with that combination?

20 years, I can't remember that far back. We made 47 last March

Wow!  Congratulations!  The really big one is just a few years away.  

20 years! Congratulations. We hit the 22 year mark this July.

Looking forward to your review of Highball & Harvest.

We went to H&H each of the 3 nights....but only ate dinner there once.  That review will be coming up in day 2.  

My family stayed there in 1991 or 1990 none of us can remember for sure.  That was my families only trip to Disney World.  I was about 10 and my sister was about 2.  We LOVED that hotel.  My parents are not do lots of stuff on vacation kind of people.  They are lazy river, lay on the beach people.  So they loved it so much.  We actually didn't go to the parks two days, thus my own family using those non expiration tickets on our last trip.  :)  Gosh I have some wonderful memories from there.  In fact we watched some home videos from there not too long ago. My sister's favorite movie (she was a weird kid) was Ernest goes to Camp (yes she was 2).  In the video she is laying on the Marriott bed singing "Amember me and you ah you and me, no matter how we toss the toss it had to be..."  her version of "Happy Together" which is in that movie.  Ahhh!  I think I'll sit for a minute and remember when life was easy and I had no worries.  

20 years, I can't remember that far back. We made 47 last March

Not to steal Dave and Inc's thunder... but, congrats!  That. is. awesome.

The pretzels and cheese dip looked really good :)   I'm not a beer person, but Tom would really like.

The resorts fees, ouch!  It is nice that you can use both resorts though... that's kind-of fun.  I could see how you could stay there the entire time and never venture off property.  Fun stuff!!

I'm in! Congrats on 20 years!

Thanks Kelly!

Late but in just the same.

Glad you are here!

My family stayed there in 1991 or 1990 none of us can remember for sure.  That was my families only trip to Disney World.  I was about 10 and my sister was about 2.  We LOVED that hotel.  My parents are not do lots of stuff on vacation kind of people.  They are lazy river, lay on the beach people.  So they loved it so much.  We actually didn't go to the parks two days, thus my own family using those non expiration tickets on our last trip.   :)  Gosh I have some wonderful memories from there.  In fact we watched some home videos from there not too long ago. My sister's favorite movie (she was a weird kid) was Ernest goes to Camp (yes she was 2).  In the video she is laying on the Marriott bed singing "Amember me and you ah you and me, no matter how we toss the toss it had to be..."  her version of "Happy Together" which is in that movie.  Ahhh!  I think I'll sit for a minute and remember when life was easy and I had no worries.  

Those sound like great memories!  I wonder if you were in a different hotel....this one was build in 2003 I think?  There is another HUGE Marriott closer to Disney...the World Center.  Was that it?  That is a very nice hotel with some enormous pools!  

Not to steal Dave and Inc's thunder... but, congrats!  That. is. awesome.

The pretzels and cheese dip looked really good :)   I'm not a beer person, but Tom would really like.

The resorts fees, ouch!  It is nice that you can use both resorts though... that's kind-of fun.  I could see how you could stay there the entire time and never venture off property.  Fun stuff!!

The resort fees are high....but I didn't mind as that is all we were paying out of pocket for the room.  Can't complain about that!  

Congratulations on 20 years!  We celebrated 19 on the 18th of May.  Hoping we can also do some sort of trip next year, we will see…..

That vanilla beer sounds good!

How about a wedding photo?  

Hey, how about another update?

We slept quite well....a combination of travel, sun, alcohol, a very comfy bed and NO KIDS!  

We got up and were out of the room in the morning by 8:00 or so, and got right into our swim suits.  We headed downstairs and went to check out a little "bistro" type place that had several nice oatmeal choices.  We selected two oatmeals, and then stopped next door at the Starbucks in the lobby for a couple Americanos.  (Yes, I gave my money to the evil cartel.  Sue me.)  We then went out poolside to get some prime lounge chairs in the shade along the river and enjoyed our breakfast.  

After eating the oatmeal, I got two tubes for the day and we took our Americanos and hit the river.  

Bliss.  

We floated a couple of laps around the river, which takes a fair amount of time as it's so big, and then settled back into the lounges for some rest.  

Here was the view from my lounger.

20150514_121427.jpg

I'll zoom in a little bit so you can see that waterfall better....there are several waterfalls along the river.

20150514_121457.jpg

I don't know what happened in this shot....I wanted another picture of the lazy river but someone rudely held a beer in front of my camera.

20150514_121627.jpg

Mmmm, and it was tasty too.  

That there is a Sam Adams Summer Ale for me.  INC got a Blue Moon I think...and we got some chips and guac to munch on.  

At some point in the early afternoon, we wandered over to the Ritz Carlton pool....I have pictures of that from our third day but not from this day, so I'll post those later.  I'll just say this....the pool crowd at a Ritz Carlton is a LOT different than the crowd at the Fort pool.  LOL!  And not in a good way.  A snotty way, but not a good way.  And I won't describe the various demographics that I think were in attendance that day, for fear of offending someone, but if you ever camp with me at a GG I'd be happy to share my stories over some beers.  

Anyways, like all days on vacation this one went way too quickly, and it was soon time to begin our evening drinking and eating again.  

After getting cleaned up, we started this evening at the Lobby Lounge at the JW, which includes a sushi bar.

Yes, Mo.  I said the "S" word.  

We started with drinks.

20150514_175724.jpg

INC had a Raspberry Lemon Drop, and I had a Macallan 15 year.  

Man, that is some good scotch.  

We were hungry for an app or two, so we had some spring rolls, and also asked the server if we could get a veggie sushi roll.  She was extremely friendly and accommodating and brought us this.

20150514_180349.jpg

We had already eaten some of it....I think it had the typical 8 pieces that many rolls do.  

And it was delicious! 

We sat for quite a while enjoying the ambiance and the drinks, and then went for a walk.  Somehow, we ended up at the hammocks again.

The view up.

20150514_191135.jpg

20150514_191146.jpg

Selfie time but INC didn't want to participate this time.

20150514_191221.jpg

We relaxed for a bit, but didn't fall asleep this time.  

After a bit, we decided to wander back to Highball & Harvest to get some dinner.  It was a beautiful evening, so we opted to sit outside on their patio.  The service at this restaurant is AWESOME.  Everyone is incredibly nice and make you feel right at home.  

I may or may not have gotten another Caramel Cream Ale....no picture so I don't have to own up to it.  

I ordered a Farmhouse Salad for my dinner.  This wasn't the healthiest salad you'll ever eat....but it was delicious!

HH2.jpg

INC ordered the Cauliflower Steak.....and man that was tasty!  Somehow I didn't get a picture of it.  Picture a nice, thick slab of cauliflower grilled to perfection.  I may have helped her eat it.  

Ok, I may have eaten a lot of it.  

If I get back to H&H someday I'm ordering that myself.  

After dinner, we had a sweet tooth and decided to split a dessert.  While there were several on the menu that sounded good, one in particular was striking my fancy.

The Baby Donuts.

20150514_202855.jpg

So what you get here, served on a wooden board, is a paper sack of freshly made sugar covered donuts.  They are served with a cup of homemade cappucino ice cream.  And then there's the key ingredient....do you see that orange tube?   That is a tube of Nutella.  The jist is, you take a donut hole, press the tip of the tube into it, and squeeze Nutella into the warm donut hole.  

Wow.  

That's all I can say.  

And the ice cream was amazing too...we rarely eat ice cream but this was worth it.  

This restaurant was completely amazeballs.  I'd go back tonight if I could.  

After that meal, we went for another walk around the resort to walk off those donuts.  (As if it were that easy).  We strolled along the lake and took in the nighttime views of the hotels.

JW at night....

20150514_205225_LLS.jpg

Not a bad pic for a phone.

We made it back up to the room in time to catch some Disney fireworks in the distance.

20150514_210848_LLS.jpg

20150514_211025_LLS.jpg

The phone takes ok pics at night....but try also zooming and you've pushed it WAY past its capabilities.

Here's the Orlando Eye at night.

20150514_210733_LLS.jpg

And that's pretty much the end of day 2.  But we still have another full day of lazy rivering, drinking, eating, and lounging.  Stay tuned....

Congratulations on 20 years!  We celebrated 19 on the 18th of May.  Hoping we can also do some sort of trip next year, we will see…..

That vanilla beer sounds good!

How about a wedding photo?  

Start planning now!  

Hmm, wedding photo.  I'll have to see if I can find one.  

Congratulations on 20 years. With a college kid I figured it would have been longer. But that's because we will be married 15 years this August and Miley is just graduating Kindergarten tomorrow.

Honeymoon baby.  

Seriously.  Emma was born exactly 9 months after our wedding.  

Start planning now!

Hmm, wedding photo. I'll have to see if I can find one.

Honeymoon baby.

Seriously. Emma was born exactly 9 months after our wedding.

Ha! Sounds like my parents. "How long have you guys been married?" "I don't know, how old is your sister?"

Those sound like great memories!  I wonder if you were in a different hotel....this one was build in 2003 I think?  There is another HUGE Marriott closer to Disney...the World Center.  Was that it?  That is a very nice hotel with some enormous pools!  

Well it must be the other one.  Geez Louise they look just alike!  It was super awesome too!!

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had an awesome trip, eating, drinking, relaxing...my kind of trip.

We just celebrated 25 years and took our first adults only WDW trip. We had such an awesome time, can't wait to plan another one. Just can't tell my kids...they're still in shock we went without them.