Another Auld Lang Syne: The TCD Gang Rings in 2014 @ The Fort!

Woohoo, double digit page bragging rights!

I have a big collection of music from both the Fort Christmas loops and regular Fort loops. It's all material I own, I'll apologize ahead of time, but I do not upload or download via torrent. I simply put together a CD for TCD that had a good 60-70 minutes of the tracks on the Fort loops.

There are places to find a stream of the Fort music, and there's data out there for some of the playlists. The regular Fort loops are comprised of music from both national (lots of Bela Fleck) and local musicians (Aubrey Haynie is from Tampa/Lakeland, has like 4-6 tracks from his Man Must Carry On record playing at the Fort!). They are predominantly bluegrass, but also pepper in some native american flute music, and western soundtracks. They often run the same loops at both the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. If I recall correctly, I also supplied TCD a sampler of these tracks as well.

The Christmas loops are a little easier to compile since they generally are only from a small handful of artists and a smaller collection of instrumental bluegrass holiday records. I've compiled five 1-hour playlists of the Fort Christmas music and material that is similar, which has become our regular holiday background music, and the companion on our Friday Night Fire during the month of December.

I keep expecting that big Excursion to pull up one of these friday nights, but alas, no....

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay another report!   War Eagle!!!    I have never seen the garland in person so bummer.  But it also irks me a little that it blocks the view of the castle.   I was in the night time parade when I wa

OOPS....My bad it's a case of fat fingers on an 8" screen... Didn't see it until you mentioned it. That is one thing that we need is a way to correct those.

The CM with Hullahoop is Barbara. She is a legend among anyone who has worked MS. She is Walt reincarnated as a woman. She is a blast to work with and always has a smile on her face and dances around.

We need to get to the bottom of that shirt. The Parent Trap idea is a good one. It has a Disney tag, so it means SOMETHING. Is it only sold at the Fort?

And I am a Josh fan. You know why? 1) He's a blogger that actually goes to Disney regularly... like every week. 2) He gives real opinions, and I tend to agree with his. I especially like his restaurant info. 3) He takes awesome pictures 4) He gives away info for free that places like TouringPlans and TourGuideMike charge for. See, what's not to like?  

I am (hopefully) going to see Saving Mr. Banks this weekend.

The only reference I could find to the meaning of that t-shirt anywhere on the interwebz was that little comment by Josh.  He may or may not be right about it.  I don't have a better theory, but I was wondering if it may be the camp the twins go to in the Parent Trap?

I don't think MetalDad is reading along.  I don't have a link, just a CD.  I will see if he can help Santa with this.  Santa should have a FW Christmas music loop.

Josh is a young adult who lives in his mom's basement blogger who posts on a site called EasyWDW.

GDF is his #1 (and perhaps only) fan.

He is still posting on his blog, so I don't think he's the dude who got booted out of the MK that you are referring to.  And, by the way, I haven't heard about anyone being booted from the MK for illegally filming anything- what's that about?

For what it's worth, I enjoy reading Josh's blog- he isn't one of those Pixie Dust snorters like so many other bloggers.

Interesting find, Ray.

I'm going to respond to this in a separate post, as I have some photos to share.

TCD

I hope to see the movie soon, too.

I don't care if Josh is a nerd.  I like nerds.  And I will check out his blog.  Anything with good Disney info that is easy to navigate is for me!

MD appears to have answered the ringing in his ears, indicating y'all were talking about him, and has piped up!  Good job getting him to post!

We need an update.

We left off with me looping around the 1600 loop on the cart.

Next loop was the 1800 loop.

The first site in the loop had the same folks in it that were here when we camped a few weeks earlier.  Note how they have a wrap around their trailer at the back of the site:

401_zpsacb55c79.jpg

I can't believe you didn't notice the glow on 1605 emanating from our shiny new camper!  Hahaha.  Kidding.  We were just down the road from these people.  I enjoyed their site, as well as the one on the opposite side that was heavily decorated.  I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into doing it.  I think we were off resort-hopping to see decorations at this time on New Year's day.

And as the train hurtles toward certain doom... That's all for this week, be sure to tune in again to hear the exciting conclusion to our story. Andrew, I can tell you grew up listening to serial radio shows! Ugh! (And LOL)

Funny!

And think it's Friday so you might have to wait all the way till Monday!!!!!!! That is unless TCD is in a good mood? Let's hope he is :rofl3:

In a good mood, and not going to WDW or returning a kid to college this weekend!

I have a big collection of music from both the Fort Christmas loops and regular Fort loops. It's all material I own, I'll apologize ahead of time, but I do not upload or download via torrent. I simply put together a CD for TCD that had a good 60-70 minutes of the tracks on the Fort loops.

There are places to find a stream of the Fort music, and there's data out there for some of the playlists. The regular Fort loops are comprised of music from both national (lots of Bela Fleck) and local musicians (Aubrey Haynie is from Tampa/Lakeland, has like 4-6 tracks from his Man Must Carry On record playing at the Fort!). They are predominantly bluegrass, but also pepper in some native american flute music, and western soundtracks. They often run the same loops at both the Fort and Wilderness Lodge. If I recall correctly, I also supplied TCD a sampler of these tracks as well.

The Christmas loops are a little easier to compile since they generally are only from a small handful of artists and a smaller collection of instrumental bluegrass holiday records. I've compiled five 1-hour playlists of the Fort Christmas music and material that is similar, which has become our regular holiday background music, and the companion on our Friday Night Fire during the month of December.

I keep expecting that big Excursion to pull up one of these friday nights, but alas, no....

MD!!!  Hooray!  Were your ears ringing?  

What's a girl gotta do to get a hold of one of those CD's?  As my Fort trips will be much fewer and far between from now on, I'd pay big bucks, if it's legal!

We need to get to the bottom of that shirt. The Parent Trap idea is a good one. It has a Disney tag, so it means SOMETHING. Is it only sold at the Fort?

And I am a Josh fan. You know why? 1) He's a blogger that actually goes to Disney regularly... like every week. 2) He gives real opinions, and I tend to agree with his. I especially like his restaurant info. 3) He takes awesome pictures 4) He gives away info for free that places like TouringPlans and TourGuideMike charge for. See, what's not to like?  

Agree on the shirt, because I gave a wrong answer and now I really want to know what the correct one is!

Nerd or not, I like free, so Josh sounds even better!

OK, Wikipedia gives the REAL names for the summer camp and place they go camping as a family.

"The film was shot mostly at various locales in California. The summer camp scenes were filmed at Bluff Lake Camp (then owned by the Pasadena YMCA, now by Habonim Dror's Camp Gilboa) and the family camping scenes later in the movie at Cedar Lake Camp, both in the San Bernardino Mountains near the city of Big Bear Lake in Southern California."

Now we need to know what they're called in the movie! 

OK, Wikipedia gives the REAL names for the summer camp and place they go camping as a family.

"The film was shot mostly at various locales in California. The summer camp scenes were filmed at Bluff Lake Camp (then owned by the Pasadena YMCA, now by Habonim Dror's Camp Gilboa) and the family camping scenes later in the movie at Cedar Lake Camp, both in the San Bernardino Mountains near the city of Big Bear Lake in Southern California."

I had to Google it but here you go, Camp Walden in the newer movie and Camp Inch in the original.

If my research was right.

WBI

And as the train hurtles toward certain doom... That's all for this week, be sure to tune in again to hear the exciting conclusion to our story. Andrew, I can tell you grew up listening to serial radio shows! Ugh! (And LOL)

Very good.

But, I didn't listen to radio shows.

We had a TV, man.

It only got about three or four channels, but at least it wasn't a radio.

What!?! A cliff hangar! Not fair. Uggg

You should know that's how I roll.

Sorry.

And think it's Friday so you might have to wait all the way till Monday!!!!!!! That is unless TCD is in a good mood? Let's hope he is :rofl3:

I am in a great mood, but just don't have time for another update before the weekend.

Sorry.

Woot.

Top of page 11 bragging rights for you, my good man.

Thanks again for the Christmas CD.  It was very well used this season.  And, yes, I do have the regular one too.  But the Christmas one is by far my favorite.

Sorry I haven't made it by for a campfire.  Tonight is a good night for one.  But, I'm busy.

Your boyfriend's photo of the shirt is from a gift shop in Frontierland at the MK, so they're not just at the Fort.

And, as much kidding as I give you about Josh, I like him too.  He's also funny and irreverent.  Too many bloggers LOVE everything about Disney.

I hope to see the movie soon, too.

I don't care if Josh is a nerd.  I like nerds.  And I will check out his blog.  Anything with good Disney info that is easy to navigate is for me!

MD appears to have answered the ringing in his ears, indicating y'all were talking about him, and has piped up!  Good job getting him to post!

I can't believe you didn't notice the glow on 1605 emanating from our shiny new camper!  Hahaha.  Kidding.  We were just down the road from these people.  I enjoyed their site, as well as the one on the opposite side that was heavily decorated.  I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into doing it.  I think we were off resort-hopping to see decorations at this time on New Year's day.

In a good mood, and not going to WDW or returning a kid to college this weekend!

I did drive by your site a couple of times- but nobody was ever home.

I'm glad that we finally met up before I left.

Nope, the girls have been back at school for a couple of weeks.

But, they have a three day weekend coming up.

And we have MagicBands that are still working . . .

Let's just say that there might be some bonus material at the end of this report.

"The film was shot mostly at various locales in California. The summer camp scenes were filmed at Bluff Lake Camp (then owned by the Pasadena YMCA, now by Habonim Dror's Camp Gilboa) and the family camping scenes later in the movie at Cedar Lake Camp, both in the San Bernardino Mountains near the city of Big Bear Lake in Southern California."

Good work.

I think we have both of those movies on VHS, but I'm not sure if we have a VHS player that works.

Ditto the what's a girl gotta do to get some soundtracks.

Way too much other stuff to comment on, but I am finally caught up.

Glad that you're all caught up.

What you have to do to get a CD is between you and MD.

He used to be in a heavy metal band, so be careful.

I had to Google it but here you go, Camp Walden in the newer movie and Camp Inch in the original.

If my research was right.

WBI

Camp Walden- that sounds nice.

Camp Inch- What The Fort?

If your research is right, then there goes my theory.

But, that shirt must have some kind of Disney connection.

I know, someone ask a CM in the Meadow Trading Post.

They're very knowledgeable.

LOL.

TCD

Your boyfriend's photo of the shirt is from a gift shop in Frontierland at the MK, so they're not just at the Fort.

And, as much kidding as I give you about Josh, I like him too.  He's also funny and irreverent.  Too many bloggers LOVE everything about Disney.

Good work.

I think we have both of those movies on VHS, but I'm not sure if we have a VHS player that works.

Camp Walden- that sounds nice.

Camp Inch- What The Fort?

If your research is right, then there goes my theory.

But, that shirt must have some kind of Disney connection.

I know, someone ask a CM in the Meadow Trading Post.

They're very knowledgeable.

LOL.

TCD

I think the joking around is funny. I only fight back, so Josh doesn't google himself and think I'm a real stalker.

Your theory isn't blown. It's not the summer camp at the beginning, but they all go camping at the end with the dad's girlfriend. That part is in California. We need to find out if they give the name. I think there's a good chance....

Your theory isn't blown. It's not the summer camp at the beginning, but they all go camping at the end with the dad's girlfriend. That part is in California. We need to find out if they give the name. I think there's a good chance....

Yes, that's what I was thinking of- not the camp the girls met at, but the camp the dad, girlfriend and girls go to.

So, I guess I need to see if I have a VCR that works.

TCD

I enjoyed the porch videos.

The monstrosity still sucks arse.

Cliffhangers are good.

Will we have to wait until monday?

If we do have to wait until monday, is that because your taking another quick weekend trip?

If youre not taking another trip, why not?

Why do people watch the NBA?

Why do i like the cinnamon bread from Costco so much?

TCD - just wanted to drop a note and let you know I'm reading along and enjoying your TR. Several vacations are over at work (for which I was covering) and we took the boy back to Mizzou today. I hope to have a bit more FF.net time.

Thanks for all the great pics (especially of the Big Christmas Tree at the Fort)

Will we have to wait until monday?

If we do have to wait until monday, is that because your taking another quick weekend trip?

I can only answer two of your questions.

Yes and yes.

My guess is that since it's a long weekend we won't have another update until Tuesday. But possible bonus material, yay!

You guessed wrong about Tuesday, but right about bonus material.

But, the bonus material won't be seen until we get to the end of the New Year's trip.

Wait a minute here, not ALL of us have MLK day off! I should not have to wait until Tuesday...

OK.

Those videos of the Fort have me thinking that we need to visit this weekend. I'm trying to talk Kenneth into heading over for lunch today. And then we can find some rocking chairs and just soak up some of that atmosphere.

Did you go?

If so, when were you there?

I loved the video from the Trading Post! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome.

I think next year I'm going to make a longer one.  Get a few more songs.

I love your trip reports--you really give a sense of what it feels like to be at the Fort.

You also give a sense of what it's like to be in the parks for the holidays. And you can count me out of that--I would have a panic attack in those kinds of crowds!

Thanks.

As for the holidays, I actually don't think the photos do a good enough job conveying how uncomfortably busy the parks can get.  Personally, I love it.  The busier the better.  But, if I was there with children, and trying to ride rides, it would be awful.

TCD - just wanted to drop a note and let you know I'm reading along and enjoying your TR. Several vacations are over at work (for which I was covering) and we took the boy back to Mizzou today. I hope to have a bit more FF.net time.

Thanks for all the great pics (especially of the Big Christmas Tree at the Fort)

Thanks, Fred.

I missed seeing you at the Fort this year.

My kids all went back to college right around the 2nd.  Sounds like they get long breaks at Mizzou.

I hope you can make it back to the Fort for next NYE.

TCD

We need an update.

We left off with me looping around the 1600 loop on the cart.

Next loop was the 1800 loop.

The first site in the loop had the same folks in it that were here when we camped a few weeks earlier.  Note how they have a wrap around their trailer at the back of the site:

401_zpsacb55c79.jpg

These are the folks with this hot-rod.  They've been at the Fort every winter for as long as I can remember:

402_zpsfe28038d.jpg

We were right across from these people, in site 1832. That car is hard to miss. They are always in one of the 1600-1900 loops.

When we were coming back from dinner at 'Ohana and turning into the Fort, my kids pointed out the red flashing lights and wanted to know why Disney put a cell tower right next to the Fort where everyone could see it. They were really disappointed that it was a huge hotel (they don't like high rise hotels) and that they wouldn't at least get better service on their phones!

I haven't seen the Parent Trap recently, but I was under the impression that the camping trip the family went on was in the backcountry, not in a specific park.

Looking forward to the rest of the report (and the bonus material from this weekend!)!

Kim

We were right across from these people, in site 1832. That car is hard to miss. They are always in one of the 1600-1900 loops.

When we were coming back from dinner at 'Ohana and turning into the Fort, my kids pointed out the red flashing lights and wanted to know why Disney put a cell tower right next to the Fort where everyone could see it. They were really disappointed that it was a huge hotel (they don't like high rise hotels) and that they wouldn't at least get better service on their phones!

I haven't seen the Parent Trap recently, but I was under the impression that the camping trip the family went on was in the backcountry, not in a specific park.

Looking forward to the rest of the report (and the bonus material from this weekend!)!

Kim

Arrrgh!

Those red blinking lights!

Get used to them.

And, I'm afraid that the red blinking lights aren't the worst of it.

Exterior lighting is a big thing with resorts.  Have you see how they light up the Contemporary Resort at night?

That Four Seasons resort will be lit up for sure.  And we will be able to see the whole darned glowing mess from the Fort-nut just those blinking red lights.

You make a good point about where they go camping in the Parent Trap- it doesn't really look like a campground- more a backcountry hiking trip.

But, that shirt has some kind of Disney connection, darn it.

TCD

Here comes that update you've been waiting for.

We left off on the morning of January 1, 2014.  We were looking at new Four Seasons resort, which will be opening some time this year after being under construction for over two years now.

I hadn't planned on doing any more exploring in this corner of the Fort, but as I stood back here, I decided that today was the day.

For the longest time, I've planned to one day walk along the canal that borders the Fort on the east.

I've stood on the Fort side on the canal many times and have seen deer and turkeys over there, and have often wondered what, if anything is on the other side of the woods that you can see.

Of course, since Google, Bing and other map sites show current aerial photographs of WDW, we know that there isn't really anything on the other side of the woods.  But, from time to time, I've seen construction types over there, and I've wondered what they're up to.

As I stood on the bridge on the morning of January 1st, I thought that my chances of being able to walk along that canal might be restricted one day soon.  As I mentioned earlier, I believe that when the Four Seasons opens, they're going to put in a fence and probably some no trespassing signs to keep us campers away.

But, as of now, I received a letter when I checked in from Doug Lord, the manager of the Fort, telling me to "Let the pioneer spirit take hold as you explore the wilderness . . ."  And, I have a shirt that I purchased at the Meadow Trading Post that says Fort Wilderness is a "great place to get lost."  As I've noted before, there's a sign on the gate that I squeezed through that says "No Pets Beyond this Point," but no sign that says anything about people.  So, as far as I know, there's nothing that says a registered Fort camper can't walk along the other side of the canal to the area known as Marshmallow Marsh.

So, I decided today was the day.

Every journey begins with a single step, and this is where this little journey began at 9:04 am on January 1st:

435_zps963006d5.jpg

That's the 1800 loop over there on the other side of the canal:

436_zpsfa4c6019.jpg

There were utility boxes in the ground along this path- here's one:

437_zps4e3efb47.jpg

438_zpsb1389944.jpg

I guess those are some old phone wires or something.

Here's the 1800 loop again- that gate you see there is where today's journey began:

439_zps96816d82.jpg

So, the Fort was on my left, and the woods were on my right.  There was nothing of interest in the woods- just woods:

442_zpse82f97c2.jpg

If you're new to the Fort, you might not remember that what you see in the photo above is how most of the Fort used to look before some Idiot Manager decided to clear out all the woods about five years ago.  That might have been your view right behind your campsite.  But, some Idiot Manager decided the Fort ought to resemble a city park instead of a Wilderness, so everything got cleaned out.  Now you can see your neighbors, and they can see you.  And folks can set up tents wherever they please.

I miss the wilderness.

Here's another one of those communications boxes-this one is practically covered with weeds:

443_zps464dde99.jpg

Now, we're at the 1600 loop:

444_zps63ae7a4d.jpg

This is the canal that leads to the Bike Barn, adjacent to the 1500 loop:

450_zps80f8ba71.jpg

You might wonder how many bicyclists might be out here needing directions to the Bike Barn.  Apparently more than you think:

451_zps57ef8773.jpg

Just kidding, that sign is there to direct the canoes and kayaks back to the Bike Barn.

You can see campers on the 1500 loop in that last photo.

Here's something interesting. This was on the right-in the woods.  It looks like an old gate.  But, there's no road or even a path on the other side of the gate:

452_zps44f0c9f0.jpg

The best I can figure is that maybe that gate was installed across this side of the canal to prevent anyone from walking or driving where I'm walking today.  But, I'm not sure.

Whatever the gate may have been used for, it's not being used anymore.  Just another old relic left to rot.

This is the area behind where that gat way lying.  Doesn't look like there was ever a road or path back there:

454_zpsce4370c5.jpg

Once I passed the 1500 loop, I was then across from the swampy area that sits between the 1500 loop and the 300 loop.  This area is really overgrown now, but the Fort Wilderness Railroad used to travel along that side of the canal.  As a matter of fact, there are still actual tracks on the ground over there:

455_zpse22a92eb.jpg

This looks like it might be a gopher tortoise hole:

457_zpsa0b6542e.jpg

Speaking of wildlife, I was reminded of something when I looked across the canal and at the gopher tortoise hole.

There was a trip I took to the Fort a couple of years back when I walked around in that area on the other side of the canal.

A day later, I had all of these red itchy bumps all over my legs, and even extending up to my torso.

I had found some chiggers.

That wasn't very pleasant.

And, here I was on this side of the canal, and I started to feel itchy on my legs.

Oh no.

But, I had come this far.

There was no turning back now.

Here's some wild flowers:

464_zps90848165.jpg

So maybe I was going to have a lot of chigger bites again.  But, I got to see these pretty flowers.  And, elsewhere in the country, there were people being buried in blizzards.  I'll take the chiggers.

After walking past the swamp, I came to the other canal that branches off of this one- this is the canal that passes between the 1400 loop and the 600 and 500 loops, heading away from the Bike Barn:

465_zps28a3138e.jpg

The end of the 300 loop dog walk area is over there-you can see the trash can and poop bag dispenser:

467_zpsd62e2aac.jpg

That's the 300 loop over there:

468_zps9b8e95e4.jpg

And, now we're at the dumpster that we saw the morning before- the one with the trusses in it:

470_zps513b079b.jpg

This is the bridge behind the 300 loop from an angle I've never seen it from before:

472_zps4e59aaaf.jpg

The first and only person that I saw on this little walk is over there across the canal walking her dogs. I said hello and Happy New Year to her from across the canal, and she said hello back.  She didn't seem surprised to see someone on the other side of the canal:

473_zps4f06a879.jpg

If you ever see plants like this growing in Florida, DO NOT TOUCH them.  You're welcome:

475_zpsfa4c0da7.jpg

And, now we are on the other side of the canal.  The side that is fenced off and can no longer be accessed from the Fort.  We can see what their hiding behind that construction fence:

476_zps20884227.jpg

The land on either side of the canal, and the canal itself apparently is legally titled in the name of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which, on paper anyway, is a separate entity from the Disney corporation.  The property line is marked with stakes for the construction project:

477_zps289b3779.jpg

From over on this side, we can get a better look at what is going on over here.  I guess this is all scaffolding that is going to be used to build the new bat house:

480_zpsd1e8eab4.jpg

And, according to the building permit posted here, they are, in fact, building a bat house:

481_zps7def4e25.jpg

That permit has several interesting things on it.

First, the job cost.

Do you see that?

$87,268.

For a bat house.

And, it says this bat house will be 18' x 18' x 30'.

How much is that per square foot?

I think the 30' refers to how high it's going to be.  But, I think that includes the poles it's going to be sitting on.  The actual space for the bats is probably only going to be 5 or 6 feet tall. 

That's a lot of money for a box on stilts.

Another thing on that permit- note the address.  The Bat House has an address.  If you don't believe me, plug that address, 1002 Swamp Trail, Bay Lake, into Google maps and see what you get.

I never knew the swamp trail was a real address.

Also note in the description of where this bat house is going that it says it will be in the area "which is called marshmallow marsh."

Sad.

It's now going to be called bat guano marsh.

I wouldn't want my marshmallow getting anywhere near that place.

Also, what about vampires?

Is this bat house a good idea?

Oh well, I guess there's nothing that can be done about it now.

Here's a look at all that stuff I saw from over the fence the day before-even that mysterious folding chair and the life ring:

491_zps81ed3f67.jpg

Seriously, why is that chair and life ring there?:

492_zps10cea321.jpg

As far as I can tell, we aren't gong to be able to visit the old cabin anymore.

So, since I was here, I stepped over there to say goodbye:

496_zpsa1d6efae.jpg

That poor old cabin has seen better days.

I also took a moment to enjoy the view from here.

I've stood in this spot and enjoyed the view many times.

But maybe this is the last time I'll enjoy it:

504_zpsec9c9d35.jpg

As I mentioned above, the first step on this little walk was taken at 9:04 am.  Now, it's 9:38 am.  Time to head back.

And that's what I did.

I have more photos to share.

Including some of the cool thing I saw on the return trip.

As I said, it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen at the Fort, and made the whole walk worth it, even if I got chigger bites.

But, I'll have to share those in the next update, as we are at the photo limit.

TCD

If you ever see plants like this growing in Florida, DO NOT TOUCH them.  You're welcome:

475_zpsfa4c0da7.jpg

I can't help it, I have to ask, What is this? Unfortunately I'm not in Florida nearly enough to have learned on my own 

I have figured out what "Pacific Lakeside Campgrounds" is, it's part of the back-story for the new Pacific Lakeside Resort, or heretofore known as River Country DVC. The purchase order for the shirts was supposed to be post-dated for 2015, but someone screwed up and they are a year early. That's got to be it. Doesn't it?