I can agree with this statement. Before we had our 5th wheels we had a 26 foot travel trailer with a gross weight of 6000 pounds and towed it with a newer Toyota Tundra. We towed it a couple thousand miles before getting rid of it and purchasing our first 5th wheel in 2012. Some of the reasons I wanted to move the 5th wheel was the increased amount of storage, much easier to hook up, and towed better. The hookup time was cut in half since I didn't have to mess with the weight distribution hitch stuff anymore, now I just back up, listen for the jaws to close and I'm done. The stability on the road was better than I imagined it would be with a 5th wheel. Before when we would get passed by a larger vehicle I could feel it push the camper and then the truck and I had to correct differently for each push. Now when we get passed it feels like everything is locked together and they don't move independently of each other, a much more relaxing experience while traveling.

How about backing into a camping spot?  Which do you find easier to maneuver?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might want to change the title of this thread. I thought it was another joke thread about Dave and his gas issues.

Dave's gas issues are a serious medical condition and we shouldn't poke fun.

I just saw a comercial for "Latoota", I thought it was about Dave

Posted Images

Things don't rattle much unless the road is bad. And I do like being able to lay in bed or on the couch. I still make Z ride in a high back booster seat.

I do like the drivable. I just don't think you'd want your kids walking around, etc.

Yeah... that was our plan (not to have the kids walk around outside of an urgent potty visit), but I did like the idea that they could sit at the table and color or play games.  Chances are Bailey will be out of her car seat next Spring (she turns 8 in February and she's big for her age...I'm going to try and keep her in her Britax, but she's counting down the days until she can sit on "the seat"...haha) and Brandon's car seat could be strapped to the seat (with the cushion removed); it's a 5 point harness seat so there shouldn't be a risk of him hitting the table.  Another bonus of a Class A, is the tank size.  We could get to the Fort without having to stop for gas! Yay! :)

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 37'  Class A

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:  We also tow a cargo trailer to hold GC, wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, formula, diapers, etc.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:

Gas mileage:  About 7 mpg

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C):  Love it.  Just dont get to use it enough.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why:  Newer, more power, better fuel mileage, l;ower fuel prices, etc   :lol: 

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 41' 5th wheel

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Approx 15,000 lbs loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2013 F350 DRW

Gas mileage: 9-10 towing, 15 empty

Do you like it, love it or hate it : Love it. 

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: We consided a Class A but decided to stick with a 5th wheel.  They both have pros and cons.

5th wheel: DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 with Vanity Slide; travel weight is right at 18,000 lbs the last time we had it weighed.

Tow vehicle is a 2009 F450.  You didn't ask, but the truck weight is about 9,750 lbs when full of fuel (88 gals of diesel)

Fuel mileage:  We plan for about 8.4 mpg towing.  Solo: around town we get about 10, highway 14 to 16.

It's a good full-timer unit, but way too much $ and weight for a weekender or vacation only rig though I know people that use theirs that way.  The truck is perfect for towing such a trailer and to run well, it's needs to be working.   

If anything, we'd get smaller and go gas power, so this thread's been a good read for me.  Our unit is too big to get into many nat'l parks, and it has hurt us when trying to sign up for volunteer stints as NOMADS as we're just too big to fit the volunteer spots that were available. It's also pretty sporting for us to back into any site at the fort.   Also, I've made it no secret that I dislike the new diesel emissions. The water separators (Fords 2008-2010) are inadequate in picking up water from the fuel and the aluminum high pressure fuels pumps are susceptible to rust from water.  It's about a $10,000 repair and takes two weeks.  Been there already and will probably do it one more time before we ditch the truck.  In ours, the diesel particulate filter is only cleaned by an active cleaning process which, for us, seems to be perfectly timed to start when we enter either a rest area, stopping at a RV park for the night, or any time time we pass within 5 miles of any location in our in-dash address book.  I'm told that not letting that cleaning process finish shortens the life of the emissions equipment on the truck.  Oh, well, it's only money...yeah, I ain't buy that line, either.

David

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): Winnebago 37L Motorhome on a Ford chassis with the V-10 gas engine

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it:

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: We do tow, but it is a car behind the motorhome.  2012 Honda CRV

Gas mileage: Haven't hand calculated it, but based on the MPG computer on the motorhome, somewhere around 7 to 8 MPG

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love it... We have had everything except for a Class C, diesel pusher, or Prevost/Newell class RV (and unless I win Powerball or MegaMillions, won't ever have one either).  To me this has been the best camping experience "vehicle" so far... Traveling is easy, set up and take down are also easier in my mind.  Even though the girls don't routinely get up and move around while underway, each person doesn't feel couped up in a truck cab. Food and drinks are readily accessible, and the TV can be used.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: There is nothing really I can do about it, but there are 2 smaller slide outs directly behind the driver and passenger seats.  It's not so much a problem for me, but when the slides are closed for travel the passenger seat can't recline all the way... I'm sure my passenger's would be happy if I didn't recline my seat at all while driving down the road...

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 2015 Rockwood 8312SS Travel Trailer 35'

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Sticker say 7400 dry. We load it up to about 8200. Just got it a few months back so have not been to the scales with it loaded yet. Only been on 2 trips so far and both trips we packed pretty light.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 gears, short bed

Gas mileage: 9-12 towing and 17-22 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: If I could change anything, I would move up to a 2500 longbed with larger gears or just upgrade my 1500 to larger gears. Not sure. The 1500 has a nice ride but I am pushing it to the limits with our TT. When we bought it, we didn't have a camper and there was not one on the horizon. Purchased a Hybrid that weighed in at 5200 loaded and it handled fine. Sister and BIL bought a WIndjammer and I towed it home with my 1500 since their truck didn't have the brake controller installed yet. I was surprised my 1500 pulled their 35' Windjammer as well as it did. Shortly after, we traded in the cursed Hybrid and got our new 8312SS.

The TT, we were back and forth on the 8311SS and 8312SS. For the 1500, the 8311SS would have been better (lighter tongue weight) and I liked the rear bunk house layout a little better. Couldn't find one anywhere close to us to take a look at and we had seen the 8312SS. Ended up buying the 8312SS while it was in build from our dealer (they had ordered it but it had not arrived yet). When we got it home, we found some manufacturing defects in the outside body. We didn't see them when we picked it up because it was raining and crappy outside. They agreed to correct everything with no questions asked. Been in the shop getting everything fixed for about 3 months now. Some of the parts were on backorder from the factory which is what we are waiting on. I guess the best thing is that they are storing it for free while it is there and they didn't charge me to winterize it.

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 2015 Rockwood 8312SS Travel Trailer 35'

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: Sticker say 7400 dry. We load it up to about 8200. Just got it a few months back so have not been to the scales with it loaded yet. Only been on 2 trips so far and both trips we packed pretty light.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 gears, short bed

Gas mileage: 9-12 towing and 17-22 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love it

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: If I could change anything, I would move up to a 2500 longbed with larger gears or just upgrade my 1500 to larger gears. Not sure. The 1500 has a nice ride but I am pushing it to the limits with our TT. When we bought it, we didn't have a camper and there was not one on the horizon. Purchased a Hybrid that weighed in at 5200 loaded and it handled fine. Sister and BIL bought a WIndjammer and I towed it home with my 1500 since their truck didn't have the brake controller installed yet. I was surprised my 1500 pulled their 35' Windjammer as well as it did. Shortly after, we traded in the cursed Hybrid and got our new 8312SS.

The TT, we were back and forth on the 8311SS and 8312SS. For the 1500, the 8311SS would have been better (lighter tongue weight) and I liked the rear bunk house layout a little better. Couldn't find one anywhere close to us to take a look at and we had seen the 8312SS. Ended up buying the 8312SS while it was in build from our dealer (they had ordered it but it had not arrived yet). When we got it home, we found some manufacturing defects in the outside body. We didn't see them when we picked it up because it was raining and crappy outside. They agreed to correct everything with no questions asked. Been in the shop getting everything fixed for about 3 months now. Some of the parts were on backorder from the factory which is what we are waiting on. I guess the best thing is that they are storing it for free while it is there and they didn't charge me to winterize it.

We have a hybrid now... can you tell me what you prefer on the TT vs your old hybrid?

Biggest issue was the incident with a tree limb falling on one of the tent ends. Never could sleep in it after that. I posted a long write up on here under other campgrounds and twin knobs. There are pics as well. Outside of that, we found that there was little storage, shower leaked around the base and the dealer couldn't find an easy fix, with the ends out it was hard to cool during hot weather, and when the 4 of us were in it, it seemed crammed. Those were the biggest issues. I am sure there were others but at this point I have forgot what they were.

The TT has a lot more space and allows us to not be crammed together. Rainy days we can stay separated if we need some space or just sit around the table and play cards. Someone can take a nap in the back or front, close the door, and not be disturbed by someone in the living area.

It has been much easier to sleep in the TT even in the heavy rain/tornado warnings we had the first night we slept in it. I know it is a false sense of security but it feels safer and better protected from falling limbs.

Ryan

Biggest issue was the incident with a tree limb falling on one of the tent ends. Never could sleep in it after that. I posted a long write up on here under other campgrounds and twin knobs. There are pics as well. Outside of that, we found that there was little storage, shower leaked around the base and the dealer couldn't find an easy fix, with the ends out it was hard to cool during hot weather, and when the 4 of us were in it, it seemed crammed. Those were the biggest issues. I am sure there were others but at this point I have forgot what they were.

The TT has a lot more space and allows us to not be crammed together. Rainy days we can stay separated if we need some space or just sit around the table and play cards. Someone can take a nap in the back or front, close the door, and not be disturbed by someone in the living area.

It has been much easier to sleep in the TT even in the heavy rain/tornado warnings we had the first night we slept in it. I know it is a false sense of security but it feels safer and better protected from falling limbs.

Ryan

Hmmm... I get that.  Tree limbs, I have to admit, that is the fear I have with our hybrid.  Storage is actually decent in ours (I picked this model over a 3 bed pop-out hybrid because it had a good amount of storage).  As for the ends and keeping the camper cool/hot...we use Pop Up Gizmos and that has made a big difference.  On separation and being stuck inside with bad weather... that is the main reason we'll end up making a change.  Right now, there is no way for the kids to sleep with us inside, unless we too are sleeping.  Also the shower, Tom cannot use the one in our hybrid so with our next choice he will stand up inside it (BEFORE we make the purchase) to make sure that if he needs to/wants to...that he can actually use it.  This is not a big deal at the Fort as their bathhouses are clean, but not all parks have that amenity. 

Camping World in Chattanooga (maybe all of them?? who knows) has a "driving school" where they will let us take out a Class A, 5th wheel and larger TT.  I think we may do this in the near future for the sheer benefit of knowing what is really what.  Heck, I may hate the feeling of driving in a Class A and/or Tom may really dislike driving a 5th wheel.  I think we need to know, so we know what to focus our search on...don't want to miss out on that "can't pass it up" deal :)

You must not live too far from me.  I live in Dalton.  I was at Camping World the other day and saw the sign and thought that was a unique way to get people into different RV's.  You can make your own judgement, but I would be cautious if you decide to purchase from Camping World of Chattanooga.  They do not have the best reputation in this area!  Unfortunately they are the only ones close that has driveable units.  Would look in Knoxville and Atlanta as well if you decide to go that route.  If you are looking for a TT or 5th wheel would highly receommend Northgate RV in Ringgold.  Also Dunlap RV as I have heard they are good too.

You must not live too far from me.  I live in Dalton.  I was at Camping World the other day and saw the sign and thought that was a unique way to get people into different RV's.  You can make your own judgement, but I would be cautious if you decide to purchase from Camping World of Chattanooga.  They do not have the best reputation in this area!  Unfortunately they are the only ones close that have driveable units.  Would look in Knoxville an Atlanta as well if you decide to go that route.  If you are looking for a TT or 5th wheel would highly receommend Northgate TV in Ringgold.  Also Dunlap RV as I have heard they are good too.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Hmmm... I get that.  Tree limbs, I have to admit, that is the fear I have with our hybrid.  Storage is actually decent in ours (I picked this model over a 3 bed pop-out hybrid because it had a good amount of storage).  As for the ends and keeping the camper cool/hot...we use Pop Up Gizmos and that has made a big difference.  On separation and being stuck inside with bad weather... that is the main reason we'll end up making a change.  Right now, there is no way for the kids to sleep with us inside, unless we too are sleeping.  Also the shower, Tom cannot use the one in our hybrid so with our next choice he will stand up inside it (BEFORE we make the purchase) to make sure that if he needs to/wants to...that he can actually use it.  This is not a big deal at the Fort as their bathhouses are clean, but not all parks have that amenity.

When we replaced our hybrid, it was actually in the shop getting a list of things fixed including the tent end that the tree limb fell on. Replacing it was an impulse buy but the wife and I agreed that we couldn't put our young ones in danger. That one time almost ruin camping for me for life. Took me almost a year on aniexty meds just to cut back on the things that would run through my mind just thinking about going camping. It really sucked. Buying the new camper helped change all that.

We did have a 3 bed hybrid (Palomino 213x). We ended up using the back bunk for storage when we were out the 4 times we had it out. The issue with that model and the back bunk was that there way no AC/Heat back there. You got what the temp was outside in that end. The shower had a cutout in the roof with a skylight that added about a foot out the top of the camper so it made the shower tolerable. Just couldnt figure out how to get rid of the blasted leak around the base. It would get so bad that water would run out under the wall into the living area within 30 seconds of turning on the shower.

Good luck on your search for a new camper if you are looking. It is always fun looking for a new camper.

Ryan

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2002 Ford Explorer (the old girl has 160,000 miles on her and we think she's dying... or will die on our upcoming 3-month trip our West so I'm starting to think about our next TOAD. We need something that flat tows, fits 2 adults, 3 kids and (sometimes) 2 tall dogs).

Gas mileage: 8-9 MPG

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Our first TT was a 34' Primetime Tracer with a bunkhouse (great for three kids), we traded it in for a 45' Tiffin that, while a lovely coach, didn't really work for three growing kids. When we saw the floorplan for our new coach we knew it was the right one for us, combined everything we loved about the TT in a Class A DP. 

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Can't think of one thing. Our new coach is dreamy!

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 18' Hybrid TT

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 3600 dry, 4400lbs. I think on average we are around 4100lbs.

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: 2011 GMC Acadia

Gas mileage: 8-9 towing, 21 not towing

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): It's fine, but I wish it had more power.

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: I'd love more torques!

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 40' Cedar Creek 5th wheel

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it; close to 16,000lbs loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2001 Kenworth T2000 with a 2009  Smart Car on the deck

Gas mileage: 9 mpg towing, 12 solo. 30 + with the car sight seeing

Do you like it, love it or hate it:  love it, so much safer then a pick up

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Only change would be a higher quality 5th wheel geared more to full timing ( But that is in the works)

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it; close to 16,000lbs loaded

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle:  2001 Kenworth T2000 with a 2009  Smart Car on the deck

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: Only change would be a higher quality 5th wheel geared more to full timing ( But that is in the works)

I'm trying to picture your car... what does this mean "on the deck"?  Are you towing it behind your 5th wheel?

I'm trying to picture your car... what does this mean "on the deck"?  Are you towing it behind your 5th wheel?

He's pulling with a tractor trailer truck. The car is literally sideways just behind the cab of the truck and the fifth wheel is behind of that.

I can share a pic if you need Rennie

Yes Jason please do, you know I still do not manage posting pictures here( but have not really tried) I know folks have been wanting to see it so post away.

What you have (i.e. Class A, TT, 5th wheel): 41' Country Coach Allure

If you're towing (so TT or 5th wheel) how heavy is it: 48,800

If you tow, what is your tow vehicle: Honda Element AWD

Gas mileage: 9

Do you like it, love it or hate it (this applies to both the tow vehicle and what you're towing (or driving if Class A or C): Love it so far....We're a family of 5 (twins 8 yr old) and a Black Lab. Never camped in our lives and decided to try it after a friend wanted to see us his pop-up camper and we quickly jumped on the idea. A few days later before we gave him an answer my boss came to me offering to make me a great deal on his gigantic luxury class A so he could convince his wife to let him buy a Prevost. So I looked inside and with little or no thought said "YES" and have yet to use it after buying it last month. First trip will be from here in NY to the Fort in March.....Scary huh!  lol

If you'd like to make a change, change to what and why: