It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

LOL!!!!! Too funny!!! Its true that I don't post often, but in my defense, I have posted on other trip reports......Dave's and Stef's to name a few!!!!

But, yes, TCD is a favorite and I will be bummed when the twins are gone to college and there are less of his reports to read!

I was going to come to your defense and point out that you had also posted on my TR.  But I was afraid of the picture of me that Lou would find. 

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

Having four kids, two each, I didn't think them going off to college was that bad. It's when they get married. Those are by far the toughest days to get through.

With the girls, you're not the most important man in their lives any longer and with the boys, they have someone else that needs their attention.

But we have Buddy.

Wow Captain Lou, that was a great big 2 x 4 dose of reality to the side of the cranium that I could've done without.

Much like TCD and others, my son finished his last day of highschool today. As I watched him walk out to his truck and head to school, I kept flashing back to his first day of kindergarten. Standing excitingly out at the bus stop, with his little name tag and whatever Disney themed book bag was popular at the time. I remember that the book bag stretched from his neck to just above his knees. Now he's almost as tall as I am.

TCD, I like you, hope I've created enough great Fort memories to draw him back for future visits.

First, thanks for the ear worm… before I even opened up the report, I was humming that REM song just from reading the title.

Second, I have a feeling you are underestimating your girls.  Yes, they'll get super busy with school and all that comes with it.  But I have a feeling that the very fact they're both going to in-state universities not so far away from WDW, you'll still get some visits in, because they will suggest it.

That being said, if you happen to have reservations over Christmas that you don't think you'll use, give me a call.  I've been trying since we were AT THE FORT over New Year's to book for the holidays next year.  No luck so far.

I'm looking forward to another TCD all-nighter at the MK.  I'd have to bring along a sleeping bag to grab a power nap on TinkerBill's crash mattress.

Wow - page three non bragging rights.  Seems like we all watched the girls grow through the last few years in your trip reports.  Great job in raising them into fine young adults TCD and Mrs. TCD; hardest job worth taking on!

Looking forward to the report.

Don't worry about the empty nest too much. My son left the state, got transferred back, moved back home, got married, and bought the house next door. We can have the grand kids anytime we want.

I'm in on this TR....

I'm with ya on this "BC" thing... Next year this time, I will be where you are now... Ash is getting ready to take her junior year exams so she can transition over to her senior year. So make sure to write legibly in that notebook so you can pass it on to the rest of us....

Now on to the FF TR (Fun & Festivities Trip Report)

That reminds me of a question. I remember some years ago there was talk that Disney was doing away with the whistles on the launches. Please tell me that is not really the case!

I can only attest to as recently as February, but they were still there then.

And they'd better not get rid of them or how will I know when to get up in the morning??

And they'd better not get rid of them or how will I know when to get up in the morning??

I heard them when I was there last month.

Very good!

Thanks for all the comments.

As per usual, they must be responded to before we march on:

Crap.. I was third and I got logged out.  Good to see a trip report from you Andrew.  Just think, down the road you can do it all over again with grandkids...lol

I hope so.

After the tear drop people next to me left, a grandma and grandpa showed up with four or five grandchildren-all boys.  I say 4 or 5 because they were never still enough to count.  I'll bet Grandma and Grandpa don't do that again.

I was hoping for a TR soon! I'm glad you were able to fit in a Fort trip BC. Tricky, since one twin starts in June! (Wow!) We have a little more time, but we are are trying to cram in a few family things we want to do before DD17 goes to college next year. I can't wait to see how the 24 hour MK visit turned out!

Thanks.  Last year at this time, I was in cram mode.  We ended up having a really great summer, and I hope you do too!

The thing that I have recently come to grips with is that they aren't going away somewhere that I can't see them.  And, truth be told, we are all so busy that we don't get to see each other much even when they are home.  Mrs. TCD and I are convinced that we have more communication with our oldest daughter now than we did the last year she was still at home.

We were on 1603. It was a last minute trip for us I got a resi on the 23 for 25-27. We saw you talking to someone with your girls at the entrance of the 1700 loop Saturday. I looked everywhere except 100-200. Never thought you would be on a preferred site. But I do know you have to take what you can get unless you book way out. Still we did loop 100 and 200 at least once. Now that the cut through from 100 to marina area is blocked we just don't go around the 100 loop much.

Well, dang Harold!  I didn't loop around the full hook ups much.  But that was definitely me you saw talking to someone on the 1700 loop. 

I know what you mean about the 100 and 200 loops.  Those are probably the loops that we loop the least too.  I used to always use that 100 loop path, so that would take us through the 100 loop often.  Now, not so much.

Second page! Woot!

Woot!

Second is better than third!

Wow, I'm all weepy too. I can blame beig pregnant. Empty nest, how sad. The good news is with the twins leaving separately it will ease you into a little bit. Proud of them for doing so well and you and mrs tvd for surviving!

You are right- having the twins leave at separate times will help somewhat.  It would be much worse for all of us if they were both leaving at the same time.

Even though it will be hard to see them go, it is what we all have hoped for all these years.

Adam is 4, right?  I bought our camper when the twins were 4.  We have used the heck out of that thing!  I can't believe how fast the last 14 years went.  They will go fast for you too!  So enjoy every moment.

You started your TR with an REM song. They're from Athens, GA.

I'm in late but in. I was looking for this all morning while I had NOTHING to do during post-planning. School sure is boring without the kids.

I agree that this is a good idea. It was also be a good idea to attend the 6:15 HDDR on Thursday of that week. You know you want to.....

I didn't know that R.E.M. was from Athens. I thought they were a grunge band from Seattle or some such place.

One of these days, I need to visit there.

Wouldn't you be shocked if I showed up at the HDDR show?

Yeah the 6:15 HDDR. it will be a cant miss show. LOL

Can't miss, huh?

I'll think about it.

Dude. Really??? I asked you if I could make ressies for July 4th. You said "No".

Oh, IN!

and Fuego!

LOL!

I love how Mr. and Mrs. Specularius discuss their business on this board!

If y'all haven't been to the Fort for the Fourth, you need to.

Page two...  When you're second, you have to try harder.

Absolutely.

You are number 1 in the number 2 business, or something like that.

TCD, this report is bittersweet. I know it's time to let the girls go. You and I share a lot of the same things even though I only have one. It's even hard watching MrsGus' kids grow up because when I met them they were snaggle tooth little kids, now they're driving me around Charleston this past weekend lol. Ok, the new chapter begins we can't stop time but I sure would like to.

Yeah, Donnie, you will be where I am in just a couple of years.  It is great to see your kids grow up and become young adults.  But at the same time, I wish we could have just a few more years.  I know what you mean about wanting to stop time, but I don't think I would even if I could.  Without change life would be boring.  You are right about the next chapter beginning.  While I am a little sad about closing one chapter, I am very excited to see what the next one brings.

TCD

Forgot to mention that we stayed on the site in between the one you're on here and the cabin.  I didn't like having all that traffic on the path behind our site.  It was back when we also had a pop-up and during a month when we weren't running the a/c constantly so you could hear everything.  Also took away from the privacy.  Now the boys on the other hand, LOVED being there.  Between Judy and her fall decorations, plus the site across the path from her, and the store, playground and beach being right there, it was a lot of fun for them.  

On the plus side, we didn't have a cart then and that is a good loop to be in if you're cart-less.

Our last few stays have been in the FHU which I wasn't much of a fan of previously.  But, they're growing on me.

Where do you have access to a fax machine these days?  I want to try that.

hey,  Maybe the next chapter in the TCD life story will be Mrs. TCD bumpping her head and telling you she misses camping at the fort and wants to plan as many trips as you both can.  She continues to buy only Disney fashions and request a GAG every other weekend.  She gives you the ok to buy a new RV that is cozy for two and hence we see more trip reports each month...just a thought...lol

Having four kids, two each, I didn't think them going off to college was that bad. It's when they get married. Those are by far the toughest days to get through.

With the girls, you're not the most important man in their lives any longer and with the boys, they have someone else that needs their attention.

But we have Buddy.

Gee, thanks, Lou.  I am not ready to think about giving any of my girls away to some man who will be more important than me. 

And, we still have Rocky.

But, he isn't as portable as Buddy.

Missed your TRs. Will expect to see more when the twins are on breaks.  Empty nest is not really bad once you get used to it.  Our grandchildren are close so it's like the kids never left home.......Ahhh the luck :)

I do hope there will be TCD grandkids one day.  But, first we want the girls to finish school and get jobs.  Emphasis on the job.

Wow, all in one day I read your trip report about beet pops and now a new one!!!!!! Lucky me!!!!

I hear you about the sadness with kids growing up and all. My youngest will be a senior in the Fall and I am DREADING the end of high school and having no kids at home full time.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Enjoy your son's senior year.  I can look back at the past year and smile.  We went out to dinner last night for the twins' birthday, and they both said what a great last year of high school they had.  I can't tell you happy it made me to hear that.

As folks have already said, we can't stop the clock, so we may as well enjoy the ride, right?

Depending on what happens when I hit "post" I *may* have gotten in on page 2... which is practically a record for me.  :)

Yeah, page 2 is wicked awesome for you.

Good job!

Ok Heidi, fess up. Do you have a thing for TCD? You seem to only post in response to his TRs.

This is what he really looks like, so don't get too infatuated.

TCD2_zpsec697764.jpg

Of course Heidi has a thing for me!

Even though that photo is like looking in the mirror, she knows that's not me, because she met me in person.

So, there.

I'm always up for a TCD trip report.  Fuego!

Fuego!

That reminds me, there weren't many people not from this land around the parks this weekend.  Write that down- Memorial Day weekend is a good time to visit if you are anti-Fuego.

I made it ! I hope you all had a Great trip!  You know my son is 26 now and I can't hardly get him to go to the Fort with me anymore!  So cherish these moments!

Which I know you do!! You have really been blessed! That is some great info on the free wifi!  I can't wait to read more! 

You are right- Mrs. TCD and I have been blessed.  We were blessed with three great daughters.

Is that Mason Reese??

Couldn't be.  He died from eating Pop Rocks and drinking Coke at the same time.  Duh!  Everyone knows that.

No, that's TCD. Pay no attention to the Mason in the background.

Maybe that is me.  It sure does look like me.  I just don't remember ever having a shirt like that.

Page whatever bragging rights!

REM......i was successful at forgetting their existence until now. Thanks for that.

After college, after weddings, you can look forward to seeing the Fort and WDW through grand kid eyes. That will be good for you. That is a ways off though. hopefully you will have trips to tKe while they are on their breaks, etc.

Looking forward to the last of the standard TCD and twins TRs.

Thanks for sharing as always sir.

Thanks, Aaron.

Before the grandkids, there will hopefully be college break trip reports.

Hopefully.

TCD

Andrew, forgive me if you siad this already and I missed it, but what schools dd the twins decide to attend?  Will you home still be a house divided?  Did at least one of them decide on UCF so they are close to the fort?

Love the rock and the faint soundtrack.

Sounds ideal!

I can't imagine those twins not getting homesick for the fort.

I loved being that close to the Settlement.  So much so, that I may abandon my cheap partial hook up loop ways.

There is no doubt the girls will be homesick for the Fort.  I love that-homesick.  So true.

My oldest daughter is always looking for ways to make it to Disney. 

So I know that there will be more trips in the future.  They will just be a lot more complicated.

I know I'm late to the party forgive me TCD....         As a hijack...  Really Jason...  I get there on the 21st of July...

Come on man!  Nobody need apologize for a hijack in a TCD TR! 

You and Jason need to coordinate something so you can meet up.

Come to think of it, I need to coordinate something so I can meet Jason.

I'm in, late but I'm here. Sad day when the twins can't go with you, but I am sure they will make every effort to get there with you when they can.

True.  The weird thing will be that we won't all be arriving and leaving together.

LOL!!!!! Too funny!!! Its true that I don't post often, but in my defense, I have posted on other trip reports......Dave's and Stef's to name a few!!!!

But, yes, TCD is a favorite and I will be bummed when the twins are gone to college and there are less of his reports to read!

Heidi- you don't need to defend yourself.  That Schmuckface Bus Driver (SBD) is just jealous of the TCD love.

I think it is inevitable that there will be less TCD TR's.

But, I'm not done yet!

TCD, forgot to ask, what IS the deal with those cabins on the 100 loop?

Too be fair, she admits her bias in her name, right?

The 100 loop cabins are reserved for use by VIP's.

Nobody but VIP's can stay in one.

VIP's like the TCD gang.

We stayed in one once.

They are the same inside as all the other cabins.  It's just the location that makes them awesome.  And, they have rocking chairs on the deck, and nice rock grills.

Actually, the truth is that anyone can stay in one of them-if they are available.  All you have to do is ask.  Most of the time, they are used by guests booked by WDW management, but if they are not booked when you arrive, you can ask and you can get one.  That's what we did.

Great report! Proves to me I need to put more effort into my site decor. I'll work on that!

Yeah, site décor is important.

You at least need a gnome or something.

I am late.  I always have to talk myself nto reading TCD TR's because they make me want to go to the Fort ASAP.  Or at least be lanning a trip.  But then I start reading and love every minute of it.

In!

Glad to have you along for the ride, Marty.

Where are you stopping on your way down? We will be driving north. maybe we can co-ordinate dinner?  Sorry TCD

No sorry necessary.

I hope you and John meet up.

And that you write a report to tell about it.

I was going to come to your defense and point out that you had also posted on my TR.  But I was afraid of the picture of me that Lou would find. 

Dude.  You posted a video of you dancing in a granny wig, and you're worried about what fake photo Lou would find?

I'm on it.

Well?

TCD

Good to read another report. I hope there will still be many more. Reading this makes me start thinking about my little girl growing up. I am not ready.

Seriously, as you already know, watching your daughter grow up is awesome.  Each day will be better than the next.  The hard part is when the end of the line comes and they aren't under your roof any more.

Enjoy every moment.  I know you already do.

Harlem shake granny wig ....

Yup.  Can't top that.

Shoot, I'm late and yet I knew there would be a TCD trip report. We watched some of the live feed from the MK and my kids asked "Do you think TCD is there?", to which I replied "Of course!"

Good answer.

For future reference, we made a solemn vow that no matter where we are or what we may be doing, if the TCD gang will be at every 24 hour WDW day.  We are two for two so far.

Wow Captain Lou, that was a great big 2 x 4 dose of reality to the side of the cranium that I could've done without.

Much like TCD and others, my son finished his last day of highschool today. As I watched him walk out to his truck and head to school, I kept flashing back to his first day of kindergarten. Standing excitingly out at the bus stop, with his little name tag and whatever Disney themed book bag was popular at the time. I remember that the book bag stretched from his neck to just above his knees. Now he's almost as tall as I am.

TCD, I like you, hope I've created enough great Fort memories to draw him back for future visits.

I know exactly how you feel.  It doesn't seem possible that 18 years flew by that fast, does it?

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something.

Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Yes, hug your kids.  But no, don't forbid them to grow up.  The thing is that you will be growing up with them.  And that's a good thing.

First, thanks for the ear worm… before I even opened up the report, I was humming that REM song just from reading the title.

Second, I have a feeling you are underestimating your girls.  Yes, they'll get super busy with school and all that comes with it.  But I have a feeling that the very fact they're both going to in-state universities not so far away from WDW, you'll still get some visits in, because they will suggest it.

That being said, if you happen to have reservations over Christmas that you don't think you'll use, give me a call.  I've been trying since we were AT THE FORT over New Year's to book for the holidays next year.  No luck so far.

I'm looking forward to another TCD all-nighter at the MK.  I'd have to bring along a sleeping bag to grab a power nap on TinkerBill's crash mattress.

Crap.  I need to make Christmas reservations too.  Keep trying.  This is the time of year that I usually make mine.  I'm sure something will come up.

TinkerBill's crash mattress?  Gross!  Funny, but gross!

BTW, I heard some interesting news from our mutual friend MetalDad.  If what I heard is true, that is an awesome story that should be shared.

Long-time empty nesters here, but I still have those bittersweet memories of each of them leaving.  And I agree, weddings are even tougher than college!

You are planning a big trip with all the grands for this fall, right?  That will be awesome. 

Wow - page three non bragging rights.  Seems like we all watched the girls grow through the last few years in your trip reports.  Great job in raising them into fine young adults TCD and Mrs. TCD; hardest job worth taking on!

Looking forward to the report.

Yeah, the girls have grown up at the Fort.

One of these days, I need to dig out the pre-digital photos and scan them, and write a retrospective. 

Don't worry about the empty nest too much. My son left the state, got transferred back, moved back home, got married, and bought the house next door. We can have the grand kids anytime we want.

That's awesome.

I hope something like that happens for us.

BTW- I saw a BigTom sign at the Fort next to a pop up on the 1500 loop.  That was you, right?  Never saw anyone at the site when we were out and about.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up.

I'm in on this TR....

I'm with ya on this "BC" thing... Next year this time, I will be where you are now... Ash is getting ready to take her junior year exams so she can transition over to her senior year. So make sure to write legibly in that notebook so you can pass it on to the rest of us....

Now on to the FF TR (Fun & Festivities Trip Report)

You don't need my notebook, I know you have your own.  My only advice is savor every moment.  That senior year flies by like you wouldn't believe.

TCD

You are planning a big trip with all the grands for this fall, right?  That will be awesome. 

TCD

Just half the grands -- they will be 2, 3, 5, and 7.  And they are staying offsite but of course I added them to our reservations so they can enjoy the fort with us!  And then we're staying another week after they leave to recuperate.

One of these days we'll see Grandpa TCD toting the grands around ... time flies when you're having fun!

That reminds me of a question. I remember some years ago there was talk that Disney was doing away with the whistles on the launches. Please tell me that is not really the case!

I heard them when I was there last month.

I can attest to hearing them just 5 mins ago. They aren't as loud as they used to be, but you can still hear them from the loops near the marina. You can also still hear the Water Parade music. These are the sounds that put me to sleep everynight.