It's The End of the World as We Know It-The TCD Gang's Last Fort Trip (BC)

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!! Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I

This thread is a weird combination of a Hallmark channel movie and a tissue commercial. I'm going to go watch monster trucks or something. Then hug my kids and forbid them to grow up.

Do my eyes deceive me? Did I actually make page 1 on a TCD report??

Blush?  I don't think so.  You are hardly the first woman who has screamed like a 13 year old girl meeting me.

OK, you are.

But, I doubt that I blushed.

It was probably wind burn our something.

Yeah, that's it.

Oh come on.  You know you would have been right there with the other three Fiend Wild Womenz.

TCD

Now I wish that after I screamed like a 13yo girl, I had been able to get a photo of the blush that resulted.  Then I would have had proof.

And yes, had I been able, I would have done the 24hour thing with those Wild Womenz, mostly just to be with them because they are wonderful ladies and tons of fun!

I too know who you received the GatorGnome from.

I miss your adopted twin.

I almost have to give the Fort credit for even bothering with a sign and wristbands.

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

That reference was for Twin#3 if she reads this TR.  :)

Looking forward to more.

How about the rare evening update?

I too think the Under the Sea ride SMB.  I guess it would be good if you wanted to be in the A/C for awhile.

Other than that, I would rather ride IASW.

Yup.  I said it.

Great job on the 24 hour event.  We stayed in to about 3:00 am for one of the evening EMH nights and I thought I was going to fall flat on my face before we got "home".  I so really need a fix at the world.  With gas prices above $3.50 a gallon, towing the trailer to the Fort is probably not in the realm of possibility for a while (especially with reluctant road trippers in their teenage years).

Hey look- it's Santa! I know there's a Santa impersonator reading along, so I will try to choose my words carefully here.

But what's with these guys who walk around dressed like that?  Do they think anybody likes it?  No way I would let my kids within a mile of one of those creeps.  And put some pants on.

Thanks.

Really? There's me here and an impersonator reading along? (Side note: I refer to my role as a "Santa's ambassador", "Santa's helper", or even "a Santa" and what I do is a portrayal... impersonator sounds like an identity thief!). For what it's worth, I agree with you. I think most people dislike attention hounds. Allow me to paint an analogy. Say there was a beauty pageant in town and the girls decided to take in the MK one night. They all show up like normal girls, in shorts and tee shirts except for one girl, who shows in a sequined gown, her Miss Tennessee banner, and a tiara. Well, as they walk through the park (well, most of them walk, one parades) they all get stopped and asked for photos, because, lets face it, they all look like beauty pageant contestants. But the one girl gets asked to be in more, not because she's prettier but because she makes for a better prop. But the whole time she's getting the attention she wants, people are thinking "what kind of self-absorbed ego does it take to show up dressed like this", and her pageant mates are not only embarrassed by her actions but concerned about the damage she's doing to the public perception of people in pageants.

That's how I feel when I see a white bearded guy wearing a Santa hat in May.

Did he fear no one would recognize him as Santa if he left off the hat and tee shirt? Would it really be that bad of a thing to only be asked to pose for 100 pictures instead of 300 if you just wore regular clothes. I know some guys locally who wear hats with "SANTA" in huge letters on the front and all I can think is "if you don't look enough like him to be identified without putting a label on it, maybe it's best if you just act like a normal person for the 10 months of the year you don't wear the suit". I know guys who spend $300+ for giant belts for their Santa suit that say "Santa" in 5" letters. Really? You're dressed all in red velvet and white fur and you still need a giant gold label for folks to know who you are?

But, I have to confess. Almost every shirt I wear is red. I do have a blue Hawaiian shirt I throw in the mix, but if you look closely the pattern is of Santas surfing, and playing ukelaili, and other beach activities. I don't see this as me forcing my "Santa-ness" on anybody, since its easy for parents to dismiss (no, honey, that's just an old guy in a red shirt) but it does make it easier for those who do want to play along to justify pointing me out and say something like, "see, he's always watching".

But on one point I adamantly disagree. Unless we're headed to Victoria and Alberts, you have about 0% chance of seeing my in anything but shorts in Florida!

Oh, and no offense to Shanta, whom I have met in person and is not the least bit creepy.  But he is the exception.

First, thank you. And if I recall correctly, you blushed a bit when we met, too. Maybe that was more because the Mayor was there... he makes all the girls blush. And, btw, there are actually a LOT of us helpers who are not at all creepy; its just that the weirdos make a bigger splash.

We have a few gentlemen who live in our vicinity who resemble Santa.  None of them bring attention to themselves during the rest of the year. They must be following your lead.  It is enough for us to see the white beard and hair to bring a smile to our faces and happiness in our hearts.  A little Christmas Magic is always a good thing.

To be clear, Pan SMB big time. My point is, even that horrific excuse for a ride had a wait, yet the nutty fish chick was walk on. As much as I enjoy seashells (check out my tag), the ride SMB.

Sorry, you're still a hater.

Those rides are not the best, but they don't SMB.

They are solid Lou's in my book.

I hope Twin #3 is going to do a trip report.

I wish she would too.

But I'm afraid that isn't going to happen.

I'll explain a little bit later on.

I saw the TCD gator gnome. You got it from Stef. how many points do I get?

Very good!

I would say those are worth 5,000 points each.

So you have 10,000 points.

You can redeem them in the TCD store.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that all we sell in the TCD store is Beet Lollipops.

And they cost 15,000 points each.

Sorry.

TCD-1

DIT-0

Yeah!

In your face DIT!

Well duh. Where's that 2x4 to whack you across the head?

What can I say?  I'm getting old.

So, did those people have permission?  Wonder what would have happened if you decided to just sit down and eat some food there?

Is there still golf cart parking somewhere near the pool?

I would have to think that those people got permission from someone.  I can't imagine anyone showing up with all that stuff and hoping that they would be able to take over the pavilion on what surely would be one of the busiest days of the year at the pool.  At the same time, the stupid signs posted there say the pavilion is for the exclusive use of Fort Wilderness guests.  So, what could they do if I plopped down at an empty picnic table?  That might have been funny to see.

Yes, there is a golf cart parking lot over by the movie theater, on the other side of the Bike Barn.  It is too small, so they put in a few more spaces by the shuffleboard courts.  That is still not enough, so you will often see carts parked in the grassy area in front of the Bike Barn too.  In the meantime, those bike racks are never more than half full, as guests park their bikes all over the place around the pool.

Now I wish that after I screamed like a 13yo girl, I had been able to get a photo of the blush that resulted.  Then I would have had proof.

And yes, had I been able, I would have done the 24hour thing with those Wild Womenz, mostly just to be with them because they are wonderful ladies and tons of fun!

No pics, so it didn't happen.

The funny thing is that we met up at the Settlement Bus Stop and there were guests everywhere looking to see why a grown woman in a tiara was screaming like a little girl.  They probably were all wondering what was with the fat old dude.

I too know who you received the GatorGnome from.

I miss your adopted twin.

I almost have to give the Fort credit for even bothering with a sign and wristbands.

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

That reference was for Twin#3 if she reads this TR.  :)

Looking forward to more.

How about the rare evening update?

I too think the Under the Sea ride SMB.  I guess it would be good if you wanted to be in the A/C for awhile.

Other than that, I would rather ride IASW.

Yup.  I said it.

Sorry, as we now know, there was no evening update.

But things look good for two updates today.

So, you have that.

I hope Twin #3 is reading.  I suspect she is, so I guess she will get your reference to being sewn to the carpet.  I sure don't.

No way would I ever choose Small World over Ariel.  Ariel is way better.

I hope you and DIT have fun sipping your HaterAde and looking at the scary dolls.

Wow. With the crowds and traffic jams I will never get the other grumpy old man in the parks. He thought early December MVMCP was bad enough.

The 24 hour crowds were much worse than anything you would see at a MVMCP.  But, they were not worse than a typical day during Christmas break.

TCD

There is a Santa that lives a few towns over (we actually hired him for a Christmas party last year) one day we saw him in Target. Best thing that could ever happen. I told Adam Santa shops at Target because he can't possibly make all the toys. Adam thought it was cool and now I don't have to unbox any Christmas gifts that they stamp the giant "ONLY AT TARGET" with their logo on the front because Adam knows Santa shops there.

Side note, i can only hope Brian looks like Santa when he gets old so I can rent him out and make some cash :)

Seriously?? You are listening to a man who wears silly rolled up hats and drinks light beer?

Dave, Dave, Dave.

Really?

First, I do not and have never worn a rolled up hat.  I do not know how that malicious lie got started, but it is absolutely false.

But, I do drink light beer.  Happily, and as often as I can I may add.

Lastly, do you really think you should be casting aspersions after shaking your groove thing in this video as you do? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW_ophKei7E&feature=player_embedded

TCD-Infinity

DIT-Zero

Love the boat ride back photos.

That may have been the best part of the night.

It was cool to see the moon setting and the sun rising.

Great job on the 24 hour event.  We stayed in to about 3:00 am for one of the evening EMH nights and I thought I was going to fall flat on my face before we got "home".  I so really need a fix at the world.  With gas prices above $3.50 a gallon, towing the trailer to the Fort is probably not in the realm of possibility for a while (especially with reluctant road trippers in their teenage years).

After doing a few of the 3 am EMH's, it wasn't that big a deal to make it to 6.

Sorry that you live so far away and have reluctant road trippers.

Really? There's me here and an impersonator reading along? (Side note: I refer to my role as a "Santa's ambassador", "Santa's helper", or even "a Santa" and what I do is a portrayal... impersonator sounds like an identity thief!). For what it's worth, I agree with you. I think most people dislike attention hounds. Allow me to paint an analogy. Say there was a beauty pageant in town and the girls decided to take in the MK one night. They all show up like normal girls, in shorts and tee shirts except for one girl, who shows in a sequined gown, her Miss Tennessee banner, and a tiara. Well, as they walk through the park (well, most of them walk, one parades) they all get stopped and asked for photos, because, lets face it, they all look like beauty pageant contestants. But the one girl gets asked to be in more, not because she's prettier but because she makes for a better prop. But the whole time she's getting the attention she wants, people are thinking "what kind of self-absorbed ego does it take to show up dressed like this", and her pageant mates are not only embarrassed by her actions but concerned about the damage she's doing to the public perception of people in pageants.

That's how I feel when I see a white bearded guy wearing a Santa hat in May.

Did he fear no one would recognize him as Santa if he left off the hat and tee shirt? Would it really be that bad of a thing to only be asked to pose for 100 pictures instead of 300 if you just wore regular clothes. I know some guys locally who wear hats with "SANTA" in huge letters on the front and all I can think is "if you don't look enough like him to be identified without putting a label on it, maybe it's best if you just act like a normal person for the 10 months of the year you don't wear the suit". I know guys who spend $300+ for giant belts for their Santa suit that say "Santa" in 5" letters. Really? You're dressed all in red velvet and white fur and you still need a giant gold label for folks to know who you are?

But, I have to confess. Almost every shirt I wear is red. I do have a blue Hawaiian shirt I throw in the mix, but if you look closely the pattern is of Santas surfing, and playing ukelaili, and other beach activities. I don't see this as me forcing my "Santa-ness" on anybody, since its easy for parents to dismiss (no, honey, that's just an old guy in a red shirt) but it does make it easier for those who do want to play along to justify pointing me out and say something like, "see, he's always watching".

But on one point I adamantly disagree. Unless we're headed to Victoria and Alberts, you have about 0% chance of seeing my in anything but shorts in Florida!

First, thank you. And if I recall correctly, you blushed a bit when we met, too. Maybe that was more because the Mayor was there... he makes all the girls blush. And, btw, there are actually a LOT of us helpers who are not at all creepy; its just that the weirdos make a bigger splash.

Good post, Shannon!

That analogy was a bit obtuse for me, but I think I got it.

Like any other profession, a couple of bad ones make it bad for everyone else.

Santa on!

We have a few gentlemen who live in our vicinity who resemble Santa.  None of them bring attention to themselves during the rest of the year. They must be following your lead.  It is enough for us to see the white beard and hair to bring a smile to our faces and happiness in our hearts.  A little Christmas Magic is always a good thing.

I think there are a few of these gentlemen everywhere.

More than we need that's for sure.

There is a Santa that lives a few towns over (we actually hired him for a Christmas party last year) one day we saw him in Target. Best thing that could ever happen. I told Adam Santa shops at Target because he can't possibly make all the toys. Adam thought it was cool and now I don't have to unbox any Christmas gifts that they stamp the giant "ONLY AT TARGET" with their logo on the front because Adam knows Santa shops there.

Side note, i can only hope Brian looks like Santa when he gets old so I can rent him out and make some cash :)

OK, that's a cute story.

But, I still find it creepy to see grown men walking around trying to pretend that they're Santa.

Go away.

TCD

.....who shows in a sequined gown, her Miss Tennessee banner, and a tiara..

I bet you would get more pictures than anybody if Santa showed up in a sequined gown, Mr. North Pole banner, and mistletoe tiara. I'm just say in'. :) :) :)

I bet you would get more pictures than anybody if Santa showed up in a sequined gown, Mr. North Pole banner, and mistletoe tiara. I'm just say in'. :) :) :)

BRAIN BLEACH!!

Of course Heidi has a thing for me!

Even though that photo is like looking in the mirror, she knows that's not me, because she met me in person.

So, there.

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!!

Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I had gone in for surgery for a harmless pre-cancerous condition.......I came out with a double cancer diagnosis.....I had four weeks, before I was scheduled to go in for a major surgery to look for more cancer......we went to Disney for almost two weeks while waiting for the surgery......I was sad and scared.....I was at Disney trying to have fun with my kids, but it was hard.....fast forward to that fateful morning of going through the line at TSM.....I glanced behind me and saw a familiar face.....it was TCD......I had followed his trip reports on the "other" site and then on this one......we had a super quick introduction.......for me, that meeting brought me out of my funk....yea, I was still sad and scared, but that simple meeting gave me something else to think about beside my uncertain future......heck, I had met the FAMOUS TCD!!!!

The story continues.....we came home....I had my surgery...I had a tough recovery, while I waited almost two weeks to find out how the pathology came back.....I was only awake for short periods, but I was able to read TCD's trip report from his recent trip, where we had met....even my husband was reading it....TCD mentioned our meeting and went on to invite me by name a few times to join fortfiends.....every night my husband would ask me if I had joined yet and we would talk about TCD's update of the day......Once, I got good test results back that no more cancer was found, I joined fortfieds........to say TCD is  my FAVORITE trip report writer is an understatement......meeting him, even briefly and reading his report while I recovered were bright spots in my life during a bleak time.

So yes, I have a "thing" for the TCD!!!!!

I too miss your adopted twin #3. I haven't been on Fortfiends for a month or two, but reading a few comments in this report have me worried......Stef is also one of my favorite trip report writers and it has been mentioned that she may be done writing....that has me both concerned and sad. I hope everything is ok and a new report is on the horizon!

TCD, the dude charges $125 an hour. Pure freaking genius!

This guy doesn't dress like Santa while not being Santa, just does the red like Shannon says he does.

Wow!

Too bad I can't grow a beard.

Seriously, I've tried- I look worse than Mason Reese.

I'm here. Actually I have been, but just keep running out if time to chime in.

Hello to Twin #3 if she is reading along and Happy Birthday to her boy Nate.

Well, thanks for posting!

I know this is a super busy time of year with school.

And yes, it was Nate's birthday on Saturday.  What a super young man.

although I agree Ariel does SMB i would ride it 100xinfinity times more than IASW.  

I agree with all of your statement, except Ariel is a Lou not SMB.

Is this a Clark Griswold reference?

I'd like to know that too.

Considering it came from Aaron, it's either that or Christmas Story.

BRAIN BLEACH!!

Save some for me.

Especially the mistletoe tiara part.

Yes, TCD and I met in person right in line for TSM!! It was a highlight of my trip!!! I am not kidding, it truly was!!!

Four weeks prior to that trip, I had been a healthy "normal" 44 year old lady. I had gone in for surgery for a harmless pre-cancerous condition.......I came out with a double cancer diagnosis.....I had four weeks, before I was scheduled to go in for a major surgery to look for more cancer......we went to Disney for almost two weeks while waiting for the surgery......I was sad and scared.....I was at Disney trying to have fun with my kids, but it was hard.....fast forward to that fateful morning of going through the line at TSM.....I glanced behind me and saw a familiar face.....it was TCD......I had followed his trip reports on the "other" site and then on this one......we had a super quick introduction.......for me, that meeting brought me out of my funk....yea, I was still sad and scared, but that simple meeting gave me something else to think about beside my uncertain future......heck, I had met the FAMOUS TCD!!!!

The story continues.....we came home....I had my surgery...I had a tough recovery, while I waited almost two weeks to find out how the pathology came back.....I was only awake for short periods, but I was able to read TCD's trip report from his recent trip, where we had met....even my husband was reading it....TCD mentioned our meeting and went on to invite me by name a few times to join fortfiends.....every night my husband would ask me if I had joined yet and we would talk about TCD's update of the day......Once, I got good test results back that no more cancer was found, I joined fortfieds........to say TCD is  my FAVORITE trip report writer is an understatement......meeting him, even briefly and reading his report while I recovered were bright spots in my life during a bleak time.

So yes, I have a "thing" for the TCD!!!!!

Wow.

I knew some of that, but not all.

You poor thing!

But , I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well!

What can I say in response to that?

Except that things like this really put things in perspective.

This site is so much more than just a place to clown around.

And despite its flaws, which are many, it is something special.

I hope some of the Fiends who have recently strayed off remember that.

I am talking to you Twin #3.

And so is Heidi:

I too miss your adopted twin #3. I haven't been on Fortfiends for a month or two, but reading a few comments in this report have me worried......Stef is also one of my favorite trip report writers and it has been mentioned that she may be done writing....that has me both concerned and sad. I hope everything is ok and a new report is on the horizon!

I agree.

100%

TCD

Yep. Agreed. Her writings were a hoot. Not sure what happened, but she is missed (even though she's a Jimmie Johnson fan). :)