Sorcerer's Hat leaving the Studios?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hat is not cool......but its not as bad as the pink birthday cake castle. Let's keep things in perspective.

Teaser: the chinese theater may appear in all of it's original glory in my Back in Time TR.

I hear the earful tower opens at the top so rebel x-wing fighters can land in it

Channel 6 in Orlando posted about a half hour ago that Disney Officials said the hat was being removed early 2015

I've seen a couple of reports around the interwebz that say the same thing, including this one from WDWNT...

CONFIRMED: The Sorcerer’s Hat at Disney’s Hollywood Studios to be Removed in Early 2015

If you’re a fan of Walt Disney World (which we assume you are if you’re reading this site), then you have probably been wishing for the removal of the Sorcerer’s Hat at Disney’s Hollywood Studios since 2001 when it was erected. Well, Disney confirmed to cast members today that the Sorcerer’s Hat will indeed be coming down in “early 2015″.

disney-mgm-studios-sorcerer-hat-600x450.

Disney’s message to cast members today read:

“We will soon begin to re-imagine the park’s central hub by removing the sorcerer’s Hat in early 2015. As part of that change, the store located underneath the hat will be closing, A closing date will be shared as we get closer to it.”

The Sorcerer’s Hat was erected in 2001 as part of the 100 Years of Magic celebration, but was also used to block the Chinese Theater façade of the Great Movie Ride which Disney no longer had the rights to use in merchandise or marketing materials. Rumors of the Hat’s removal have been swirling for years until now. The removal of the hat is expected to be a part of the remodeling of the park which includes the removal of attractions in the Backlot area such as the already-shuttered Studio Backlot Tour, as well as the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow which closes on November 6th. Rumors indicate that lands based on Toy Story, Star Wars, and Cars are likely for the park in the next few years. However, only time will tell.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/10/confirmed-the-sorcerers-hat-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-to-be-removed-in-early-2015/

Can someone please explain to me why it seems like a lot of people hate the hat?

It is and always has been an eyesore. It doesn't fit into the theming in that area.

Why is it a "monstrosity"?

It's too big and overpowers the area.

The Earful Tower was and should be the DHS icon.

It's a hat. A hat that most Disney fans associate with a famous movie.

While it my be a famous movie, it SMB. I haven't been able to watch the entire movie and probably never will.

It is and always has been an eyesore. It doesn't fit into the theming in that area.

LETS SEE. Hollywood Studios. Sounds like a place that they make movies. How many movies/tv shows has that hat been in? How does a famous/ iconic movie hat not fit into the "theming of the area"?

It's too big and overpowers the area.

KIND of like that giant golfball? Or that giant tree? Or that castle which is at least 2 or 3 as tall as the original at Disneyland.

The Earful Tower was and should be the DHS icon.

YOU mean that water tower that is so far in the back of the park you can really only see it from that attraction that they just did a way with?

While it my be a famous movie, it SMB. I haven't been able to watch the entire movie and probably never will.

YOUR right it SMB but a lot of people would disagree with that. As of 2012, Fantasia has grossed $76.4 million in domestic revenue and is the 22nd highest-grossing film of all time in the U.S. when adjusted for inflation. Remember this film was released in 1940.