Sorcerer's Hat leaving the Studios?

Nobody likes change.

I can think of someone who knew a little bit about theme parks that loved change.

His quote below was about Disneyland, but he would have surely said it about his last labor of love.

"Disneyland is something that will never be finished. It's something that I can keep developing. It will be a live, breathing thing that will need change. A picture is a thing once you wrap it up and turn it over to Technicolor, you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. But I can change the park, because it's alive."

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hat is not cool......but its not as bad as the pink birthday cake castle. Let's keep things in perspective.

Teaser: the chinese theater may appear in all of it's original glory in my Back in Time TR.

I hear the earful tower opens at the top so rebel x-wing fighters can land in it

I can think of someone who knew a little bit about theme parks that loved change.

His quote below was about Disneyland, but he would have surely said it about his last labor of love.

"Disneyland is something that will never be finished. It's something that I can keep developing. It will be a live, breathing thing that will need change. A picture is a thing once you wrap it up and turn it over to Technicolor, you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. But I can change the park, because it's alive."

Nice quote.

The hat was there on my first trip to Studios.  I like the hat in itself.  I just think it would look better maybe in the courtyard outside the gates - kind of like when they put the themed Christmas trees in front of Studios and AK.  They make great photo ops.  I don't think the hat really fits into the theming of the early Hollywood street scene.  BUT, it could also be argued that a castle doesn't fit in with the theming of Marceline-esque Main Street - and I don't want that castle going anywhere!  I don't know what would make a good icon for the park.  At first I thought a movie camera - but those have changed in style over the last century- what time period camera would you use?  Filmstrip?  No one uses film anymore.  Would ANY oversized object really look good in that spot?

We speculate (and argue) because we love Disney with a passion and feel it is partly our home, too.  If it wasn't worth being passionate about I wouldn't go...

The hat was there on my first trip to Studios.  I like the hat in itself.  I just think it would look better maybe in the courtyard outside the gates - kind of like when they put the themed Christmas trees in front of Studios and AK.  They make great photo ops.  I don't think the hat really fits into the theming of the early Hollywood street scene.  BUT, it could also be argued that a castle doesn't fit in with the theming of Marceline-esque Main Street - and I don't want that castle going anywhere!  I don't know what would make a good icon for the park.  At first I thought a movie camera - but those have changed in style over the last century- what time period camera would you use?  Filmstrip?  No one uses film anymore.  Would ANY oversized object really look good in that spot?

We speculate (and argue) because we love Disney with a passion and feel it is partly our home, too.  If it wasn't worth being passionate about I wouldn't go...

Excellent comments and observations Janet.

I also don't have a problem with the hat, but just like in real estate, it's location, location, location.

As a Walt and Roy Disney fan, I'm also a WDW purists whenever it makes sense to be one, and I feel that they had it right originally. Take the hat out and leave that area as it was, empty. 

The original icon, the Earful Tower, was the correct icon and IMO, should be the icon again. So what if you can't see it from inside the park, you can certainly see it as you drive up World Drive.

The hat was there on my first trip to Studios. I like the hat in itself. I just think it would look better maybe in the courtyard outside the gates - kind of like when they put the themed Christmas trees in front of Studios and AK. They make great photo ops. I don't think the hat really fits into the theming of the early Hollywood street scene. BUT, it could also be argued that a castle doesn't fit in with the theming of Marceline-esque Main Street - and I don't want that castle going anywhere! I don't know what would make a good icon for the park. At first I thought a movie camera - but those have changed in style over the last century- what time period camera would you use? Filmstrip? No one uses film anymore. Would ANY oversized object really look good in that spot?

We speculate (and argue) because we love Disney with a passion and feel it is partly our home, too. If it wasn't worth being passionate about I wouldn't go...

Great comment. I especially like the idea of moving it to the courtyard outside the gates.

It would continue to be a great photo op and could serve as a meeting place for people.

Excellent comments and observations Janet.

I also don't have a problem with the hat, but just like in real estate, it's location, location, location.

As a Walt and Roy Disney fan, I'm also a WDW purists whenever it makes sense to be one, and I feel that they had it right originally. Take the hat out and leave that area as it was, empty.

The original icon, the Earful Tower, was the correct icon and IMO, should be the icon again. So what if you can't see it form inside the park, you can certainly see it as you drive up World Drive.

I agree that Earful Tower is a better icon for. HS and to me will always be a symbol of HS. Especially if you've ever taken a tour of an actual Hollywood television studio.

But I do think the Icon should be highly visible inside the park. Think about the other three parks and their symbols.

If you could only see the Cinderella castle from the highway it wouldn't have the same feeling as when you walk into the park and look down main street.

Or Spaceship Earth. Imagine not being able to walk around and under it and trying to comprehend it massive size. You couldn't do that if you could only see it from a distance.

The Tree of Life. What I like best is that you can see it from many parts of the park. That you can walk up to it and see all the carvings on it. Again if it was off some where were you couldn't get up close and personal it would lose a lot of its personality.

Again I agree that the Earful Tower should be the symbol but IMHO. It's in a horrible place to do that.

The tower is in an especially bad location as an HS icon

I disagree. It's fine where it is and it does exactly what it was originally designed to do, be seen from World Drive so that guests knew that they were approaching the then MGM Studios park.

Just because the other parks have their icons where it can be seen from inside the park, where is it written that all parks have to do the same thing?

Is that still an active water tower?

Never was. Although it's a real water tower, it wasn't used for that purpose. It's a decoration.

The water towers at film studios were there in order to have a water source in case of a fire. The sets were so flimsy and made out wood and cloth, that once they caught fire, it spread quickly.

Ah, that explains my problem.  Since I come in from Western Way and turn left onto World Drive, I don't see the Tower.  And for some reason from inside HS I never pictured the Tower being that close to World Drive.  My apologoes to the layout team.  

Moving it to the courtyard outside the gate is the best idea I have seen.  They could still even keep the pin shop in it.