Nothing Fancy-Just a Good Old 4th of July at the Fort TCD TR

Knowing how Disney squeezes out dollars at every turn, I just can't understand why they allow these freeloaders to monopolize areas of the Fort.

And I've read these people come in with coolers, baskets, etc., and take the internal bus to the pool.  When I came in via DME they didn't even want a small suitcase on the bus.  Isn't that less offensive than a cooler?

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have no fear, I am here!

I have a double ENO hammock.....super comfy.

Not all dogs are scared of Thunder and they all handle it a different way.  Service dogs need to be able to handle all situations.  What would happen if a person had a service dog that was scared of t

Knowing how Disney squeezes out dollars at every turn, I just can't understand why they allow these freeloaders to monopolize areas of the Fort.

And I've read these people come in with coolers, baskets, etc., and take the internal bus to the pool.  When I came in via DME they didn't even want a small suitcase on the bus.  Isn't that less offensive than a cooler?

I am convinced that these are the friends and families of castmembers. 

It's the only thing I can come up with to explain how it is allowed.

The Fort pool is a haven for castmembers and their extended families.

TCD

After our chicken, I ran the twins up to the Outpost.  On the way there, the Camp LKO bus was coming the other way.  Based on what was later reported, I believe the Lukow family was all aboard the bus at this time:

7414484_zpse6a867a3.jpg

After dropping off the girls, I rode into the 1400 loop so I could take a look and see if the food truck was in place.  It was supposed to be there from 7-10, and it was just past 7:30 now.  The truck was there:

7414485_zpsc5eb1be2.jpg

What was not there were any customers:

7414486_zps339842ee.jpg

These two about pounced on my as I walked by:

7414487_zpsa0d810bc.jpg

The food truck had a very limited menu.  I guess they all do:

7414488_zpsd8c18f8d.jpg

Wow. Kind of expensive.  Looks like the Disney Dining Plan is at work here.  $11 to $12 for a simple meal.  

Those pig wings looked good though.  I asked the CM what a pig wing was.  She said it was like a pork shank.  It is?  

I had to try the pig wings, so I handed over the money, and this is what they handed me:

7414489_zps7b2380e0.jpg

One big problem was that I was not hungry.  We had just eaten our second GAG of the trip, remember?  I decided to take the pig wings back to the camper, and stick them in the fridge so we could all try them later.

Then, I headed out on a mission.

I knew that fellow Fiend Travisma was staying on the 1500 loop.  I've never met him, but I needed to.  So, I stopped by his site, and I got to meet Mark and his family.  Great people.  Mark got spiked too.  We discussed strategy for the concert and fireworks, and then I headed out.

The concert time was getting close now.  I did some more snooping around, and ended up on the side porch of Crockett's Tavern.  There, I found Todd/4Brians and his wife at one of the picnic tables, and GDF and her friend Elena at the one right next to Todd's.  Fiend Nation is everywhere!  I spoke to Todd and his wife, and GDF and Elena.  I had an extra spike on me, so I made a deal with Elena- I would spike her if she promised to join ff.net.  She agreed, so I handed over the spike.  I think she has joined, but no posts from her yet.  GDF needs to do some arm twisting there.

At some point, the Lukow family was walked right by that porch in some kind of procession involving horses and cowboys, and brought in to Pioneer Hall. The Fiends on the porch had seen that, but I missed it.  I think I was getting a beer.

I think these are the cowboys and horses walking back after the processional:

7414490_zpsd8bb459e.jpg

7414491_zps3e58cf12.jpg

I tried to follow the horses, but I got stopped by the CM's who were now moved up the walkway and preventing guests from heading down to the sidewalk that leads to Clementine's Beach.  I saw that they had hung a big sign next to the old River Country Ticket Booth.  I could read it, but it was dark, and this photo isn't clear. The sign says Lucky Luckow Saloon:

lkosaloon_zpse5745ecb.jpg

I never got this close to the fenced off part of the beach again that night:

Clembeach3_zps57d26ef8.jpg

While I waited for the twins, I continued to look around the Settlement area, and check ff.net to see what anyone had reported.  At one point, I stopped by the restroom at Pioneer Hall, and one of the Luckow men was in there in his plaid shirt and cowboy hat.  He then headed back in the side door of Pioneer Hall.  If only I had a plaid shirt and cowboy hat!

I ran into GDF there by the restroom.  She told me what was happening on the other side of the building.

A little later, I checked in with Todd, and his wife told me how a grandmother type from the Luckow family was in the ladies room when she visited, and how she was tempted to say "Hello, Grandma, remember me?" to her.  That would have been funny.

After it got dark, I headed over to the old petting zoo area to see if anyone was guarding the area where I thought we would come to later to watch the concert.

As I passed by there, I noticed that the Camp LKO bus was parked at the old River Country bus stop:

7414492_zps572ac7af.jpg

Nobody was guarding the bus.  So, I got a few photos:

lkobus2_zps7176d365.jpg

This bus is actually a new bus, with a wrap to make it look old. I loved all the details, right down to fake bumper stickers, and "Wash Me" written on what was really a clean window:

lkobus3_zps752e432e.jpg

Here on the passenger side ,there's a notice that says this bus is operated by Mears Transportation.  And, they have what is made to look like an old New Jersey traffic sign on the side of the bus.  That must have some significance to this family:

lkobus4_zpsb3f32034.jpg

It was only 8:30, but they had the barn doors shut:

7414499_zpsd3d829fd.jpg

I got a text from the twins telling me that they were heading back to the Fort, so I headed up to get them, and arrived just as their bus was unloading.  We headed back to the site, and tried the pig wings.

Guess what?

Pig wings are delicious.

I'm still not sure what they are, though.  The bones were like rib bones, but there was a lot of meat on them.

And then, it was concert time.

We headed to our chosen listening location.  To keep things straight, I've marked up an aerial map of the Settlement area.  We were originally along the petting zoo fence, where purple star #1 is marked:

concertlocations_zps050c39fd.jpg

The concert started, and we could hear everything great.

I know that there was a group gathered around where the red star is on the map above. There were CM's there keeping them from getting closer, and it seemed kind of noisy, so our spot was better.

I marked the side porch of Crockett's with a dark blue star- that's where the 4Brians family was.  I never asked Todd if they could hear the music from there, but I think it would have been hard.

After the first couple of songs, a rent-a-cop walked up to us and said we had to move back.  We were the only ones there, and weren't bothering anyone.  But, I didn't want to make a fuss, so we moved over to near the windmill, where I've marked the #2 purple star on the map.  We got to hear a few other songs, and then up comes a different rent-a-cop.  He was looking for something to do, so he asked us to move.  Again, for no good reason.  And, once again, to avoid a fuss, I moved.  We were now where the #3 purple star is.

We could hear fine here too.

I was surprised that one of the songs Luke played was his new one "Rollercoaster."  At that point, I had not heard the song on the radio before.  But, oddly enough, I had seen the music video for it.  Mrs. TCD had head that the video was shot around the area of the Florida panhandle where we like to visit , and we had watched the video together just a few days before this.  Here's the video in case you're interested:

http://vevo.ly/fbd6YK

The video itself is kind of boring, but the bar that you see the kids in at the beginning is the Red Bar in Grayton Beach, Florida.  It's a place that we've visited many times.  

So, I like that song and that video.

As Luke was wrapping up Roller Coaster, a third rent-a-cop showed up and told us that we had to move.  This time I pushed back. I asked him why.  He said it was a private party.  I said I understood, but I wasn't anywhere near the private party.  I was in the campground.  Where I was a paying customer.  And, I wasn't going to move to a 4th spot, so he would need to go and get a real cop.  He said he would, and I said please do.  And that was the last I saw of him.

The rent-a-cops were annoying.

But, otherwise, it was a great concert.

Then we headed to the beach.  I expected a much bigger crowd, but it wasn't really much busier than a regular fireworks night.

I ran into Jason and Sil and Rennie on the beach.

We found a spot near the fence.

The Luckow family took its sweet time getting to the beach.  As soon as they arrived, with no warning at all, the show started.

And what a show it was.

We were so close to the fireworks that they were hard to photograph.  What was really cool is they had low level ones shooting off just above the water in addition to the big traditional fireworks:

7414511_zpsfb814204.jpg

There were all kinds of fireworks-not just the kind you always see in fireworks displays:

7414519_zps6a98591e.jpg

It really was amazing- and we were so close:

7414520_zps16abbce3.jpg

7414522_zpsf4f84c74.jpg

There was the usual collection of idiots recording the fireworks with their iPads.  So, I figured that there would be plenty of videos on YouTube by now.  But, this is the only one I've found,  It shows most of the show, but only the higher fireworks, and not the lower level ones.  And there's a poor baby crying during most of the video.  But this gives you a good idea of what it was like to stand there on the beach while the world exploded in front of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IedMF6DtKNY

I think we all agreed that the fireworks were the best we've ever seen.

The party was over, and everyone headed out.

We briefly toyed with the idea of heading to the MK and closing it down.  It was open until 1.  

But, it was past midnight, and it didn't seem worth it.

Plus, Twin #2 had to work again on Sunday.  They work the College Program kids hard on holidays.

So, we hung around the campground and looped.  It was pretty much dead again.

We turned in a bit past 1.

Tomorrow, we would be packing up and heading home.

But, I intended to be up early so I could go see the aftermath of the party around the beach and the pavilion.

TCD

Here on the passenger sign ,there's a notice that says this bus is operated by Mears Transportation.  And, they have what is made to look like an old New Jersey traffic sign on the side of the bus.  That must have some significance to this family:

lkobus4_zpsb3f32034.jpg

Lukow Family Foundation

461 Old Post Rd 

Wyckoff, NJ  07481-1550

Probably NJ Turnpike at the top.  Exit 14  since when someone knows you're from NJ they always ask "what exit?"

also refers to Garden State / Garden State Parkway

What an exciting day!

You all did a great job of keeping those of us at home updated on everything.

It really was a fun day.

The thread was fun with everyone jumping in to contribute.

Wow. More purple marker and TCD (rightfully) standing up to "the man". That's my kind of update.

Glad you liked it.

I feel bad standing up to "the man" in front of my kids, because I want them to respect authority, but the rent-a-cops they had there were too much.

Lukow Family Foundation

461 Old Post Rd 

Wyckoff, NJ  07481-1550

Probably NJ Turnpike at the top.  Exit 14  since when someone knows you're from NJ they always ask "what exit?"

also refers to Garden State / Garden State Parkway

Very good.

Zillow says that address is a 4200 square foot McMansion that sits on a half acre and is worth $1.3 million:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/461-Old-Post-Rd-Wyckoff-NJ-07481/38061740_zpid/

Who's house is that?  Not these folks who drop $8.5 million on a week at Disney.

Maybe that's their maid's house or something?

TCD

"I feel bad standing up to "the man" in front of my kids, because I want them to respect authority, but the rent-a-cops they had there were too much."

Nope, you shouldn't feel bad about standing up to the rent-a-cop, he was being pushy.  I'm glad you pushed back.  You were a paying guest and had the right to stand around and try to hear the concert.  They did not rent all of Fort Wilderness, so they needed to deal with the riff-raff already paying a lot of $$$$ (at least on our end of the scale) to be in the fort.   If the Lucklows wanted so much privacy they could have had the concert indoors somewhere.  So, I say good for you and think it was a good example for the girls.

So there :clint: 

Elena did join. She is Hula Queen Elena. I know she read my whole report, but she hasn't posted. She needs to reset her password. I need to harass her to do that. She REALLY enjoyed meeting all the Fiends. She thinks you people are nice. I won't tell her any differently. 

And I know why that group with the red star was loud... that's where we were.  :wine:

Some time, I want to go to camp at the Fort, and not bring any food.  We will just eat GAG's.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I wonder how long it would take me to get sick of it?  I don't think it would happen.

TCD

I would LOVE to do that. 

Wait for it!  Wait for it!  Ok here it is post #15.

That day at the Fort was filled with so much fun and excitement.  I enjoyed watching things unfold throughout the day.  I am honored that I am included in a TCD trip report.  His trip reports always have great information and cool pictures.  I was honored to meet the famous TCD.  I still can't believe how close we were to the fireworks.  I was also amazed at how many people had no idea that Luke Bryan was performing at the pavilion.  I enjoyed creeping around the fort trying to find information to post. 

I have never formally introduced myself so here goes.  My wife and I love camping at the fort.  We have a five year old daughter, a 4 month old daughter, and an English bulldog named Maximus.  We make at least one trip to the fort every year.  We live north of Birmingham, Al and are both educators.  On this particular trip we did 15 nights at the fort and we could have done 15 more.  What a great trip! 

WDE  Chris

Wait for it! Wait for it! Ok here it is post #15.

That day at the Fort was filled with so much fun and excitement. I enjoyed watching things unfold throughout the day. I am honored that I am included in a TCD trip report. His trip reports always have great information and cool pictures. I was honored to meet the famous TCD. I still can't believe how close we were to the fireworks. I was also amazed at how many people had no idea that Luke Bryan was performing at the pavilion. I enjoyed creeping around the fort trying to find information to post.

I have never formally introduced myself so here goes. My wife and I love camping at the fort. We have a five year old daughter, a 4 month old daughter, and an English bulldog named Maximus. We make at least one trip to the fort every year. We live north of Birmingham, Al and are both educators. On this particular trip we did 15 nights at the fort and we could have done 15 more. What a great trip!

WDE Chris

You should join us at Defeated Creek in September. If you don't have Labor Day plans Judy (MLM5) and I will be camping at the KOA in the Decatur area. I started a thread under the Grand Gatherings.

Great update.

That Man was just trying to keep a brother down. Stick it to the Man!

Wow. Those fireworks looked really close. Did any of the sparks come towards the beach?

Pork wings are delicious but are so much better in Germany. We had them in Munich.

They are called pork knuckles and they are roasted with the skin still on them. Delicious. I'll share more once we get to Germany in my TR.

They are from the shank of the hog.

It's one of their closets.

LOL.  That sounds about right.

A mistress. 

Sadly, that could be true as well.

Since this is listed as the address of their "Family Foundation" I wonder if it's owned by the so-called not-for-profit company that they operate?  I sure hope that the Foundation didn't pay for this trip.  But, I wonder.

"I feel bad standing up to "the man" in front of my kids, because I want them to respect authority, but the rent-a-cops they had there were too much."

Nope, you shouldn't feel bad about standing up to the rent-a-cop, he was being pushy.  I'm glad you pushed back.  You were a paying guest and had the right to stand around and try to hear the concert.  They did not rent all of Fort Wilderness, so they needed to deal with the riff-raff already paying a lot of $$$$ (at least on our end of the scale) to be in the fort.   If the Lucklows wanted so much privacy they could have had the concert indoors somewhere.  So, I say good for you and think it was a good example for the girls.

So there :clint: 

Thanks, I appreciate that.  There are a lot of dumb rules at Disney, but I still try to follow them, whether I personally agree with them or not.  Most of the time, it's easier to just go along rather than make a stink.

Such a cool night to be at the Fort! And add me to the list of those who thinks you did right for the girls when the third guy showed up trying to make y'all move.

It truly was a fun night.  I am not aware of anything of this magnitude having happened at the Fort before.  There was the Sweet 16 party for the daughter of the man who owns the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team a couple of years ago, which also had a private party on the beach and a fireworks show.  But, they didn't have a private concert beforehand.

What Gretchen said. Yup.

Thanks.

Elena did join. She is Hula Queen Elena. I know she read my whole report, but she hasn't posted. She needs to reset her password. I need to harass her to do that. She REALLY enjoyed meeting all the Fiends. She thinks you people are nice. I won't tell her any differently. 

And I know why that group with the red star was loud... that's where we were.  :wine:

I would LOVE to do that. 

Hula Queen?  Did you help her pick that name?

Before I forget- make sure that you watch the Luke Bryan Roller Coaster video- it was shot along 30A, and you will surely recognize where some of the scenes were shot.

Back on July 5th I really didn't care for Roller Coaster I had only heard it maybe 2 times. But a month later I have heard it so many times I like it now. Great job reporting.

I remember you making a comment about the song on the thread that night.  I was just on my phone, and the posts were going so fast that I never got a chance to reply to you. 

I hear the song all the time now, and I like it as well.  But, I liked it from the start because of the video.

I think you would have been justified not moving the first time. You weren't hurting anything and nothing you were doing there was affecting the Luckows' evening.

Looking forward to morning pics!

I agree.  Had I known that I was going to be asked three times to move, I would have pushed back at the beginning.  In the end, though, it didn't matter.  None of the spots allowed me to see into the pavilion, and I could hear fine from all three spots. 

Wait for it!  Wait for it!  Ok here it is post #15.

That day at the Fort was filled with so much fun and excitement.  I enjoyed watching things unfold throughout the day.  I am honored that I am included in a TCD trip report.  His trip reports always have great information and cool pictures.  I was honored to meet the famous TCD.  I still can't believe how close we were to the fireworks.  I was also amazed at how many people had no idea that Luke Bryan was performing at the pavilion.  I enjoyed creeping around the fort trying to find information to post. 

I have never formally introduced myself so here goes.  My wife and I love camping at the fort.  We have a five year old daughter, a 4 month old daughter, and an English bulldog named Maximus.  We make at least one trip to the fort every year.  We live north of Birmingham, Al and are both educators.  On this particular trip we did 15 nights at the fort and we could have done 15 more.  What a great trip! 

WDE  Chris

Great job!

That's a very good 15th post.

This is the great thing about FF.net.  It attracts great people, and we all have an instant common bond from our love of the Fort. 

I didn't realize you were on a 15 night trip.  Lucky!

Was Maximus with you on this trip?  I wish I could have met him.

You should join us at Defeated Creek in September. If you don't have Labor Day plans Judy (MLM5) and I will be camping at the KOA in the Decatur area. I started a thread under the Grand Gatherings.

And so it starts . . .

TCD

Great update.

That Man was just trying to keep a brother down. Stick it to the Man!

Wow. Those fireworks looked really close. Did any of the sparks come towards the beach?

Pork wings are delicious but are so much better in Germany. We had them in Munich.

They are called pork knuckles and they are roasted with the skin still on them. Delicious. I'll share more once we get to Germany in my TR.

They are from the shank of the hog.

We were standing a bit back on the beach, so we weren't the closest people to the fireworks.  I didn't see any sparks near us, but I did wonder how safe all of it was.  There's a reason they clear out areas of the theme parks when the fireworks are shot off.  I guess they know what they're doing.

I had never heard of pig wings before I saw them mentioned on the sign by the pool.  The CM's at the food truck said they were pork shanks, and now you're confirming that.  But, they are so much smaller than the pork shanks they sell at Gaston's Tavern.  This NY Times article says they're from a hog's fibula: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/dining/pig-wings-as-tasty-morsels-take-flight-united-tastes.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 .  I think the larger shanks from Gaston's must be from the femur.  As I said above, the pig wings were good.

Ray, I think you need to take TCD with you to clear the path of those pesky "Stroller Mom's" as you make your entrance to the MK!   :rofl2:

Good luck with that.  You can't fix stupid.  I just would take their photos and put them in a TR.  It's not worth getting worked up about clueless people.  They're everywhere.  And they seem to gravitate toward WDW.

Finally had a chance to catch up and all I can say is.... whew! Awesome report TCD. Sooo much information, you are incredibly detailed :) Looks like you and your girls had a great time. Very special.

Good job catching up. Keep reading, there's still a couple more updates for this trip, and then the bonus features.

TCD

I was up early on the 6th.  I had to pack up and go home today, but first I really wanted to see what Clementine's Beach and the Pavilion looked like after the big party.  Who knows what I might see or find?

I grabbed the cart, and headed down my favorite path.  It was 6:50 am when I took this photo.  Look, the lights are still on:

7414525_zps1f255fa4.jpg

My campsite is right over there:

7414526_zps185e4d87.jpg

See the hammocks?:

7414527_zpsfa19830d.jpg

I really like this site. There are just enough palmettoes and bushes to provide a little privacy:

7414528_zpsb21648ed.jpg

After seeing the huge underwear the guy next to me had hanging on his clothesline all weekend, I have begun to see Larry's point:

7414529_zpse4cf1496.jpg

Here we are, and we have the whole Settlement to ourselves.  Nobody else got up early today:

7414530_zps0491ac27.jpg

Well, that's not entirely true.  I heard the beach tractor guy.  Nobody gets up before him.  I headed toward the beach.  I couldn't wait to take pictures of the mess.  But, this is what I saw:

7414531_zps895e4ef4.jpg

The fence was gone.

The trucks were gone.

The firepit was gone.

The fancy chairs and benches were gone.

The speakers with the Hidden Mickey plastic covers were gone.

What I'm trying to tell you is that it was all gone!

Like nothing ever happened:

7414532_zps98284956.jpg

Even the barges were gone.  But the buoys were still there:

7414533_zps6ecdbd24.jpg

There go some guys leaving on a fishing excursion.  It was business as usual here at the Fort Wilderness Landing early on a Sunday morning:

7414534_zpsf2c28269.jpg

Everything was neat and pretty and ready for another day:

7414535_zps55351c20.jpg

The sidewalk could use a little blowing off, and the Snacks on the Beach sign needed to be put away, but I'm sure that would happen soon:

7414536_zps6189fab6.jpg

There apparently were no guests who drove their carts here this morning to get to the MK for rope drop:

7414537_zpsa07384e4.jpg

I like it like this:

7414538_zpsec7dbb66.jpg

A moment of silence for the Lawnmower Tree.  We will never forget:

7414539_zps0a54136e.jpg

There's the "No Golf Carts Past This Point" sign they used last night. They eventually moved it all the way up here near the porch because too many guests drove down to the perimeter established by the CM's and had to turn around there:

7414540_zps57fa1afa.jpg

In that last photo, you can see a couple of trucks down by the sidewalk that leads to Clementine's Beach.  We need to go see whose trucks those are. 

They're Disney trucks:

7414541_zps4549233d.jpg

Like any other morning:

7414542_zps4dc30626.jpg

The other truck I saw.  And, over there closer to the pavilion, you can see that they have the trucks which were parked on the beach lined up and ready to go:

7414543_zps0fc9d562.jpg

The Lucky Luckow Saloon sign was gone:

7414545_zps32b9936b.jpg

Back in the old River Country entrance area, everything was normal too.  Squirrel! :

7414546_zps79220f10.jpg

It looked like all that stuff they brought in to the pavilion was gone too.  Squirrel!:

7414547_zps94843080.jpg

Everything had magically vanished overnight:

7414550_zpsfd5f4779.jpg

They hadn't put the picnic tables back yet.  Just a few were over there in the corner:

7414552_zps73bf4840.jpg

The trucks from the beach:

7414553_zps8ac6197d.jpg

The picnic tables were still all stacked and hidden under the green tarps:

7414554_zpsd7d4e944.jpg

That is a lot of picnic tables:

7414555_zps4165bc84.jpg

And there are even more stacked over there:

7414556_zps637b5812.jpg

It's pretty amazing that there was a stage, sound system, lights, new furniture and all kinds of props here the night before, and now it was all completely gone.  No trace of any of it.  I was kind of bummed.  I wanted to find something left over from the party. 

Not only was it all gone, but so were all the CM's. Nobody was still here working.  They were done and gone.

Which meant I could still look around.

I know!

I wonder if all those trailers they had parked behind the barn were gone?

We're going to look back there next.

Oh, and there is going to be another Fiend encounter and a final spiking for this trip too.

TCD

Boy they cleaned up that mess fast.

They have pork knuckles at Gaston's?

I'm boycotting the place. But I might have to end it if those pork knuckles are half as good as the ones in Germany.

I've only looked inside Gaston's Tavern. I'm boycotting it because if it's called a tavern they should sell beer. No beer no tavern.

Boy they cleaned up that mess fast.

They have pork knuckles at Gaston's?

I'm boycotting the place. But I might have to end it if those pork knuckles are half as good as the ones in Germany.

I've only looked inside Gaston's Tavern. I'm boycotting it because if it's called a tavern they should sell beer. No beer no tavern.

No pork knuckles. Pork shanks.  Just like in the movie, Gaston's Tavern specializes in pork shanks and pork flavored cinnamon rolls.

But these pork shanks are nothing like the pig wings I got from the food truck.  They are the size of a turkey leg:

FW101812080.jpg

That's a Gaston's Tavern pork shank there in the basket on the table in this photo:

FW101812081.jpg

TCD